A minor update to Hickey’s “Apple shares hit $200” post from the other day: Apple is now the third most valuable technology company, right behind Microsoft and Google. Its market capitalization (yes, I had to look up what that means) is now around $174 billion, some $100 billion more than last year. And to think I got excited when Grandma sent me $50 for Christmas.
Keep in mind that it’s only going to get harder for Apple as it moves away from 100 percent dependence on the iPod (where it had nearly zero competition) to more of a focus on the iPhone (where the carriers truly run the show, at least here in the U.S.), as Fast Company pointed out this month.
Apple’s share price in Christmas rally [Financial Times]
- Founded 1976
- Overview Apple is a multinational corporation that designs, manufactures, and markets mobile communication and media devices, personal computers, portable digital music players, and sells a variety of related software, services, peripherals, networking solutions, and third-party digital content and applications. Apple provides many products and services, including iPhone; iPad; iPod; Mac; iPod; Apple TV; …
- Location Cupertino, CA
- Categories Hardware + Software, Consumer Electronics, Computers, Electronics, Retail
- Website http://www.apple.com
- Full profile for Apple
- Founded 1998
- Overview Google is a multinational corporation that is specialized in internet-related services and products. The company’s product portfolio includes Google Search, which provides users with access to information online; Knowledge Graph that allows to search for things, people, or places as well as builds systems recognizing speech and understanding natural language; Google Now, which provides information …
- Location Mountain View, CA
- Categories Search, Email, Blogging Platforms, Information Technology, Video Streaming, Software
- Website http://www.google.com
- Full profile for Google
- Founded 1974
- Overview Microsoft is an American multinational corporation that develops, manufactures, licenses, supports and sells computer software, consumer electronics and personal computers and services. Its best known software products are the [Microsoft Windows line of operating systems](/product/windows), [Microsoft Office office suite](/product/microsoft-office), and [Internet Explorer](http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/download-ie) …
- Location Redmond, WA
- Categories Software, Video Games
- Website http://www.microsoft.com
- Full profile for Microsoft
- Description Apple's MP3 player that launch in 2001.
- Website N/A
- Full profile for iPod