Welcome back to another episode of the most European tech podcast around. This week, we talk about Google’s tendency to be the bad guy in Europe. It has some issues with France’s CNIL around privacy — at least it would be fine if the company paid corporate taxes. This is the TechCrunch Europe Podcast, wherein we European writers discuss tech news, as well as what’s happening in our startup scene.
Also happening this week, it was TechStars first demo day in London! Three of us were there and picked our favorite startups. Finally, Darrell introduced us to Narrative, a lifelogging camera to keep track of everything. Would you buy this very expensive and creepy device?
We invite you to enjoy our weekly podcast every Thursday.
Intro music by Espanto.
- Founded September 1998
- Ticker NASDAQ:GOOG
- Overview Google provides search and advertising services, which together aim to organize and monetize the world’s information. In addition to its dominant search engine, it offers a plethora of online tools and platforms including: Gmail, Maps, YouTube, and Google+, the company’s extension into the social space. Most of its Web-based products are free, funded by Google’s highly integrated online advertising …
- Website http://google.com
- AngelList Page
- Full profile for Google
- Founded March 2012
- Total Funding $4.18M
- Overview Memoto is now Narrative. Narrative was founded by six Swedish serial entrepreneurs in 2012. Martin Källström, formerly founder and CEO of blog search engine Twingly, shaped the concept of the Narrative Clip, a wearable camera able to create a continuous life log for the user. For this task he recruited his friend Oskar Kalmaru, founder of an online video provider, as well as Björn Wesén, who was, …
- Founders Sebastian Björkelid, Simon Pantzare
- Website http://getnarrative.com
- Full profile for Narrative
- Founded October 2006
- Total Funding $34M
- Overview Techstars is the #1 startup accelerator in the world. We’re very selective. Although thousands of companies apply each year, we only invest our money and time in about ten companies per program location. We have selection rates lower than the Ivy League, so you have to be among the best of the best to earn investment.
- Website http://techstars.com
- Full profile for Techstars
Latest headlines delivered to you daily