Other Top News

  • Uber’s Non-Profit Ridesharing Service People’s Uber Expands To More Chinese Cities

    Uber’s Non-Profit Ridesharing Service People’s Uber Expands To More Chinese Cities

    Uber has expanded People’s Uber, its ridesharing pilot program, to more cities in China today, following its August launch in Beijing. People’s Uber is now available in Hangzhou, Chengdu, Wuhan, Shanghai, Shenzhen, and Guangzhou. Read More

  • Secure Messaging App Wickr Adds 22 Languages To Give More People A Private Voice

    Secure Messaging App Wickr Adds 22 Languages To Give More People A Private Voice

    Wickr, one of the wave of secure messaging apps that have risen to prominence in the last year as people question how private their data and communications really are these days (even among “private” apps), is expanding its sights globally. From today, the app — which has had “well over 3 million downloads” says CEO and co-founder Nico Sell — is… Read More

  • Who To Follow On Twitter, According To Marc Andreessen

    Who To Follow On Twitter, According To Marc Andreessen

    Well-known Tweetstormer and investor Marc Andreessen has produced a list of his favorite people to follow on Twitter. He was prompted to do so by an article in The Information called “Silicon Valley’s Frontman Problem” by Jessica Lessin, who questioned if the industry leaders most often quoted by the media (she cited Andreessen, Elon Musk, and Peter Thiel) really… Read More

  • So Long #Gamergate. What Did You Teach Us?

    So Long #Gamergate. What Did You Teach Us?

    The hashtag is still going, as are the fervent speculations and plans for operations on 8chan and Reddit, but the movement that is #Gamergate is dead. But what, if anything, did it teach us? Read More

  • Loly Adds A Supersized Emoji Sparkle To Your iPhone

    Loly Adds A Supersized Emoji Sparkle To Your iPhone

    Move over boring old static smiley face and wine glass emoticons, Loly is a new, bigger, prettier emoji app now available on the App Store. Online fashion pioneer Gina Pell created the new app to fill a need for the “chic and stylish” to have a better way to express themselves. Pell is the founder of early e-commerce fashion site Splendora. That got acquired by Joyus a few… Read More

  • A User’s Guide To Disrupt London 2014

    A User’s Guide To Disrupt London 2014

    Hard to believe that Disrupt London opens tomorrow! As always, TechCrunch has partnered with an amazing array of folks who promise to make your experience at the conference better than ever. Official Wifi Sponsor: Our wifi is sponsored by Cushman & Wakefield. You can find it using the network name “Cushman And Wakefield.” Official Hardware Alley Sponsor: Autodesk Manufacturing… Read More

  • Inside The Spotify – Echo Nest Skunkworks
  • Infected Flight Wins The Disrupt Europe 2014 Hackathon Grand Prize, Appilepsy And Seeusoon Are Runners Up
  • Movie Nights Lets You And Your Friends Find And Agree On A Film To Watch

    Movie Nights Lets You And Your Friends Find And Agree On A Film To Watch

    Trying to figure out what film I want to watch at home from the thousands I can pick on various VOD services is a pain. The only thing more annoying is trying to find one that my husband and I can both agree we want to watch (love you, Marc). A app presented today at TC’s Disrupt Hackathon called Movie Nights has created a way to solve that problem: it lets two parties enter either… Read More

  • Newsly Hack Is Tinder For News Articles

    Newsly Hack Is Tinder For News Articles

    Tinder’s interface for quickly filtering people you might like to date from those you definitely don’t is being applied to all sorts of other sorting tasks. We’ve had multiple Tinders for shopping, for instance. And here at the Disrupt Europe 2014 hackathon in London we’ve just seen a Tinder for news stories, called Newsly, presented on stage. Read More

  • Iranian Users Petition Microsoft For Greater Windows Support

    Iranian Users Petition Microsoft For Greater Windows Support

    Microsoft’s Windows 10 operating system preview has attracted more than 1 million testers to date, and tens upon tens of thousands of votes on its user forums. Curiosuly, one dominating theme has emerged over the past few days: Requests for better support in Iran. The Verge’s Tom Warren wrote a post last week detailing the top 10 Windows 10 requests, noting that users are… Read More

  • Passage at TechCrunch Disrupt: London 2014 Hackathon

    Passage Replaces Your Passwords With Images

    Passage, from the Edinburgh-based team behind Peekabu, replaces your passwords with images. So instead of typing in a password, you simply hold a previously registered image up to your screen — maybe a photo of your family you have on your desk or your driver’s license. The team, which built this service over the course of the last 24 hours during our Disrupt London hackathon… Read More

  • Laplock at TechCrunch Disrupt: London 2014 Hackathon

    With Laplock, You Get A Text Message When Somebody Unplugs Your Laptop

    Fresh off the hackathon dungeon, Laplock is a nifty little app developed at our TechCrunch Disrupt Hackathon in London. Martin Saint-Macary and Ivan Maeder worked tirelessly for the past 24 hours to build an easy-to-use software lock for your Mac. Here’s how it works. At heart, Laplock is a menubar app for your Mac. You install it, enter your phone number and/or Yo account, and… Read More

  • Midnight Hacking in the Dungeon | Disrupt EU Hackathon

    Pizza, Beer, Glory, And The All-Night London Hackathon

    Here in London, the Disrupt Europe hackathon is racing towards its conclusion, with its participants all prepping their presentations for judging later today. Last night, however, around midnight, fueled by a recent infusion of pizza and beer, TechCrunch went around to ask a few questions and cause a little mayhem. Between a spider robot, far too many blinking lights and house plants… Read More

  • Watch The Disrupt: London Hackathon Judging Live Stream Right Here!

    Watch The Disrupt: London Hackathon Judging Live Stream Right Here!

    I’m tired and I didn’t do anything. After coding for 24 hours, the participants of the first TechCrunch Disrupt: London hackathon will now present their creations on the massive Disrupt stage. From developer geek to investor chic, these judges are ready for anything and will assess hackathon participants on a scale of technical difficulty, usability, usefulness and creativity. In… Read More

  • Andrei Cherny’s ‘Aspiration’ Brings The Investment Tools Of The 1% To The Other 99%

    Andrei Cherny’s ‘Aspiration’ Brings The Investment Tools Of The 1% To The Other 99%

    At 39 years old, Andrey Cherny has advised presidents, consulted with Fortune 100 companies, worked as a state prosecutor, served as a Naval reserve officer, founded a think tank and policy journal, and written a couple of books. Now he’s adding entrepreneur to the list with the launch of Aspiration Partners LLC. Read More

  • Travel, Retail And Media Are 3 Industries Taking Over The App Store

    Travel, Retail And Media Are 3 Industries Taking Over The App Store

    Mobile apps have come a long way since Apple launched the App Store in 2007, with over 5 million apps available across the leading app stores. While many factors have contributed to the growth, the ability to reach a global audience with a relatively small upfront investment has certainly been a significant contributor. The potential ROI if an app is successful is huge — just ask… Read More

  • The Future Of AI Will Be Stacked

    The Future Of AI Will Be Stacked

    We are entering an exciting period for Artificial Intelligence. We’re seeing more consumer impacting developments and breakthroughs in AI technology than ever before. And as Nova Spivack recently argued, it’s reasonable to expect that major players like Apple, IBM, Google and Microsoft, among others, will lead a fierce consolidation effort for the AI market over the next 5 years. Read More

  • 10 Trends Transforming Enterprise IT

    10 Trends Transforming Enterprise IT

    When it comes to corporate IT, revolution is in the air. The way companies buy, build, manage, optimize and secure information technology is changing dramatically. From cloud computing to big data analytics to ubiquitous mobile connectivity, corporate IT systems are getting faster, more efficient, cheaper to operate and easier to use. In the process, a new wave of tech companies has emerged… Read More

  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. ...