kijiji

  • "Kijiji" Isn't Kutting It. How about eBay Classifieds?

    "Kijiji" Isn't Kutting It. How about eBay Classifieds?

    eBay is having second thoughts about how easy it will be to spread the Kijiji brand in the U.S. The company is testing out the name "eBay Classifieds" in two cities, San Antonio and Pittsburgh. A letter sent out to Kijiji members states: We here at Kijiji thought it made a lot of sense to start using the eBay brand name. After all, we are part of the eBay family and we are a classifieds… Read More

  • Ex-MySpacers Launch Corkin, A Social Classifieds Portal

    Ex-MySpacers Launch Corkin, A Social Classifieds Portal

    Corkin is a new web service that combines classifieds listings with a set of social tools that the company says differentiates it from juggernauts such as Craigslist and eBay's Kijiji. Like corkboards you'd find outside of local supermarkets, libraries and on college campuses, Corkin wants to be the website everyone uses to post free classified ads about anything. Every aspect of Corkin has a… Read More

  • Ebay Survey Says Americans Buy Crap They Don't Want

    Ebay Survey Says Americans Buy Crap They Don't Want

    This inbox item caught my eye. Ebay commissioned a survey on behalf of their fast growing Kijiji product (it competes with and engages in litigation with Craigslist). The survey revealed surprising (I use the term sarcastically) facts such as: 90% of Americans have at least one unused item lying around the house Unused electronics items can be found in more than 2/3 of households (70%) 38% of men… Read More

  • Microsoft Exits Classified Listings Business

    Microsoft Exits Classified Listings Business

    Microsoft Live Expo, their experiment with classified listings that launched in early 2006, will be shut down on July 31, says a notice posted on the site. New listings have already been suspended. This comes as Craigslist solidifies its position as the top free listings service. Other services like Kijiji (owned by eBay) and Oodle (which recently partnered with Walmart) continue to grow. Recently… Read More

  • Walmart Launches Classified Listings

    Walmart Launches Classified Listings

    Walmart has added a classified listings service to their site. Silicon Valley startup Oodle, which was founded in 2004, is powering the service. The listings are free, which means Walmart is likely doing the deal to generate page views and advertising impressions. They also now compete with both Craigslist and eBay-owned Kijiji. Walmart has a mixed history of success with Web businesses, but… Read More

  • eBay Vs. Craigslist, Round II.  Craigslist Punches Back With Its Own Lawsuit.

    eBay Vs. Craigslist, Round II. Craigslist Punches Back With Its Own Lawsuit.

    Following the lawsuit eBay filed against Craigslist two weeks ago, Craigslist is punching back today. In a countersuit (complaint embedded below), Craigslist wants back the 28.4 percent of its shares that eBay bought in 2004. It also wants the court to award Craigslist eBay’s related profits, and punitive damages on top of it all. Craigslist is accusing eBay of: unlawful and unfair… Read More

  • Craigslist Competitor OLX Raises $13.5M

    Craigslist Competitor OLX Raises $13.5M

    According to co-founder Fabrice Grinda, “OLX is probably the largest classified site no one has ever heard of.” And now it’s also the most funded classified site no one has ever heard of, having secured an additional $13.5M in Series B funding today from General Catalyst, Bessemer Venture Partners, Founders Fund, and DN Capital. The round brings OLX’s total funding up to… Read More

  • Kijiji Talks Smack About Craigslist: "We Will Be No. 1 In the U.S."

    Kijiji Talks Smack About Craigslist: "We Will Be No. 1 In the U.S."

    Why can’t brothers and sisters just get along? As I noted earlier this month, eBay’s free classifieds site Kijiji is coming on strong since its launch in the U.S. last summer. Of course, eBay owns 25 percent of Craigslist, but since the other 75 percent is not for sale, eBay is putting all of its eggs into Kijiji and taking Craigslist head on. In January, Kijiji had 2.3 million U.S. Read More

  • Watch out Craigslist, Sister Site Kijiji Is Taking Off.

    Watch out Craigslist, Sister Site Kijiji Is Taking Off.

    It’s not yet a Craigslist killer, but eBay’s free classifieds site Kijiji is taking off in the U.S. eBay, of course, is also an investor in Craigslist, but its 25 percent stake doesn’t give it a controlling interest and the other 75 percent is not for sale. So in March, 2005, eBay launched Kijiji as its own competing free classifieds site overseas. Then last summer, it launched a… Read More

  • eBay To Craigslist: Game On With US Version Of Kijiji

    eBay To Craigslist: Game On With US Version Of Kijiji

    eBay has opened a US version of its classifieds site Kijiji. Kijiji has previously been available in Canada as well as parts of Europe and Asia, and is a direct competitor to Craigslist. The Wall Street Journal reports that Kijiji is immediately available in 220 cities in all 50 US states. Like Craigslist, advertising is free with eBay looking at ways of charging sellers for display ads or premium… Read More