Hello and welcome back to Equity, TechCrunch’s venture capital-focused podcast, where we unpack the numbers behind the headlines.
The whole team was aboard for this recording, with Grace and Chris behind the scenes, and Danny, Alex and Natasha on the mics. We had to cut more than we included this week, which should give you a good idea of how busy the startup and VC worlds are of late.
Make sure that you are following the podcast on Twitter, where we post all sorts of memes and cuts and, perhaps, the occasional video here and there. That aside, here’s the rundown:
- Investing legend David Swenson passed away.
- Twitter is buying Scroll (neat, very cool) as part of its subscription push, but also killing Nuzzel in the process (bad, very uncool). Natasha and Danny fill us in on why Nuzzel will be missed. Alex has thoughts on why Twitter-Scroll is good.
- Epic bought ArtStation and cut its marketplace take rate. This is the future, says Danny, who throws his own estimates in, too.
- Sony and Discord are tying up after the Microsoft-Discord deal fell apart.
- Edtech is doing the edtech thing in which it raises money and consolidates, as shown by Kahoot’s latest scoop.
- A friend of the pod, Jomayra Herrera, is joining Reach Capital as its first-ever outside-partner hire.
- Uber is teaming up with Arrival for ride-hailing-designed electric vehicles. We’re pretty bullish on the idea. Also Alex likes to say “microfactories.”
- IVF startups are raising venture capital, and this time it’s Alife Health that we’re talking about.
- WorkBoard raised again. Alex once again made us talk about OKR-focused startups. He needs to get a life, and so does the rest of the Equity team, which fought to do the transition into this segment.
- To end, we spoke about Leda Health, a new startup focused on at-home rape kits for sexual assault survivors. It’s a controversial company, and we discuss critiques and opportunities,
And that’s our show! No private equity deal can slow the Equity team down, so we’ll see you Monday!
Equity drops every Monday at 7:00 a.m. PST, Wednesday, and Friday at 6:00 AM PST, so subscribe to us on Apple Podcasts, Overcast, Spotify and all the casts!