Apple told me today that it will be extending Apple TV+ subscriptions that are set to end November 1, 2020 through January 31, 2021 through their billing date in February of 2021.
The basic situation is that Apple gave away a free year of Apple TV+ to new device purchasers last year and those are all set to end in November. Apple knows everyone is still looking at a tough winter ahead filled with COVID-related restrictions so it’s bumping those subs out to February.
Monthly users whose subscription start date is before November 1st, 2020 also get a deal, with a $4.99 credit (the cost of an Apple TV+ subscription) appearing for November, December and January 2021. You do not have to do anything to receive the credit and users will be getting emails notifying them of these extensions/credits.
And, of course, if it gets to hold the total sub number steady through Q4 of a tough economic year, so much the better, right?
Apple TV+ had a bit of a slow burn start, with a big sub onramp in the form of devices and some high-profile launches that were tempered by early reviews of their marquee programming. But people warmed to the shows over time.
I believed at the time that it was a bit of natural sugar crash happening.
That proved out over time as The Morning Show ended up winning Apple TV+ its first Prime Time Emmy award.
Total award nominations for Apple Originals now number 114, with 35 wins.
And, by the way, Ted Lasso is one of the more clever and humane shows currently streaming at the moment. Please go watch it. It’s a well-acted melange of sport, non-toxic masculinity and heartfelt drama.
Also, as a quick note, if you were a day-one purchaser of an iOS device last year, it’s possible that your free year is actually ending October 31. But don’t worry, you’re covered in this offer, too.
Here are the particulars of the deal for easy copying and pasting:
- If your Apple TV+ subscription ends on November 1, 2020 through January 31 of 2021 Apple is extending the free year to your sub date in February of 2021.
- This means that the yearly subscriber extension applies to people who subbed prior to January 31, 2020.
- As an example, if your sub was set to end November 15th 2020 then your first billing date would now be February 15th, 2020.
- If people signed up for yearly subs without a new device purchase during that same date period they will also get free through February 2021.
- If you have signed up for a monthly subscription before November 1st, 2020, you’ll get a $4.99 credit per month.
- The new device program where you get a year free will still continue.
- Customers will get emails about this.