I’ve been using the Zi6, Kodak’s answer to the Mino and other pocketcams, since its release and other than pretty awful low-light performance, I’ve been really happy with it. So I’m happy to hear they’re releasing an upgraded version that looks cooler, probably performs better, and is weather-resistant to boot.
The Zx1 is set to be released in April for the extremely reasonable price of $150. My dad likes to take video when he’s skiing and I can’t think of a better option for him (aside from the Canon 790IS we got him for Christmas… Chris you still owe me for that) and others who need something compact, durable, and straightforward. It does the YouTube thing, will work with SDHC cards up to 32GB, and even comes in several colors. Only testing will tell, but from what I can tell the Zx1 appears to make mincemeat of the MinoHD for $100 less.
I’ll make a point of hitting this thing up at CES and give you all updated impressions. Here’s the full press release:
Rugged new KODAK Digital Video Camera enables on-the-go HD video capture
Never miss a moment with pocketable and weather-resistant video companion
Rochester, NY, January 8, 2009 — Eastman Kodak Company (NYSE:EK) today introduced the new KODAK Zx1 Digital Video Camera, a compact and rugged digital device that enables “go-anywhere” High Definition recording.
The Zx1 allows users to shoot and share high-quality video quickly and simply, with 720p HD video capture – at 60 or 30 fps – a vibrant 2.0-inch LCD screen, and built-in software for easy editing and sharing of content to YouTube™ and other social media and networking websites.
“More than ever, people want to capture moments on the go and quickly and easily share them,” says John Blake, General Manager Digital Capture and Devices, Vice President, Eastman Kodak Company. “The Zx1 is a fun and interactive way to engage in this kind of storytelling – it’s both small and smart, and enables people to record virtually anything, virtually anywhere, and then quickly upload content to video-sharing and social networking websites.”
The KODAK Zx1 Digital Video Camera is designed to meet these needs at the touch of a button — no lens cap, dials to turn or settings to adjust. The new camera’s advanced feature set includes:
* Pocketable 720p HD video capture at 60 fps
* Weather-resistant design that stands up to splashes, dirt and more – IP43 certified;
* High-quality video capture in bright light or low light – from the beach, to the nightclub;
* Easy editing, personalization, and uploading to YouTube or other Internet sites with built-in video software, ArcSoft Media Impressions for Kodak;
* Expandable SD/SDHC Card slot for memory cards up to 32 GB, that can record up to 10 hours of HD video*;
* Easy HDTV playback with included HDMI cable;
* Sensitive, low distortion microphone that provides crisp, clear audio;
* Pre-charged AA Ni-MH rechargeable batteries and battery charger included, saving money and avoiding waste from used batteries;
* Vibrant 2.0” LCD;
* Available in five colors: black, red, pink, blue and yellow**;
* Remote control compatible (remote control sold separately).
Uploading to YouTube
YouTube is the world’s most popular online video community, and the Kodak and YouTube relationship enables consumers to quickly and easily upload videos to YouTube from the simple and powerful video editing software that comes with the camera.
A range of accessories are available for the KODAK Zx1 Digital Video Camera, including:
* KODAK SDHC Memory Cards, available in 4, 8 and 16GB capacities customized for optimal video capture;
* KODAK Adventure Mount for helmet, handlebars and more;
* KODAK Flexi-tripods;
* KODAK cases, camera bags and neck straps;
* Remote control;
* Battery options include AA, CRV3, and KODAK Li-Ion Rechargeable Digital Camera Battery KLIC-8000.
Pricing and Availability
The KODAK Zx1 Digital Video Camera will be available from April 2009, and retail for US$149.95 MSRP.
*Record approximately 20 minutes per 1GB at HD 30fps.
** Color availability may vary.
As the world’s foremost imaging innovator, Kodak helps consumers, businesses, and creative professionals unleash the power of pictures and printing to enrich their lives.
To learn more, visit the newly redesigned http://www.kodak .com and follow our blogs and more at http://www.kodak.com/go/followus.
More than 70 million people worldwide manage, share and create photo gifts online at KODAK Gallery –join for free today at www.kodakgallery.com