Four years ago, Brian Acton was looking for a job.
His job at Yahoo, where he’d filled many engineering roles over 11 years, had come to an end.
He was networking with recruiters:
networking with recruiters, venture capitalists, playing ultimate frisbee
— Brian Acton (@brianacton) May 20, 2009
He met with Twitter. Twitter said no:
Got denied by Twitter HQ. That's ok. Would have been a long commute.
— Brian Acton (@brianacton) May 23, 2009
He met with Facebook. Facebook said no:
Facebook turned me down. It was a great opportunity to connect with some fantastic people. Looking forward to life's next adventure.
— Brian Acton (@brianacton) August 3, 2009
So he and Jan Koum, a colleague from Yahoo, set out to do their own thing.
Life is crazy.
- Founded 2004
- Overview Facebook is an online social networking service that allows its users to connect with friends and family as well as make new connections. It provides its users with the ability to create a profile, update information, add images, send friend requests, and accept requests from other users. Its features include status update, photo tagging and sharing, and more. Facebook’s profile structure includes …
- Location New York, NY
- Categories Social Media, Colleges, All Students, Identity, Communities
- Website http://www.facebook.com
- Full profile for Facebook
- Founded 2009
- Overview WhatsApp Messenger is a cross-platform mobile messaging app which allows you to exchange messages without having to pay for SMS. WhatsApp Messenger is available for iPhone, BlackBerry, Android, Windows Phone and Nokia and yes, those phones can all message each other! Because WhatsApp Messenger uses the same internet data plan that you use for email and web browsing, there is no cost to message and …
- Location Santa Clara, California
- Categories Messaging
- Founders Jan Koum, Brian Acton
- Website http://www.whatsapp.com
- Full profile for Whatsapp