When discussing social media and how he uses it for his political work as mayor of Newark, New Jersey, Cory Booker called out Facebook CEO Mark Zuckberg as an “American Hero” for his work on connecting the world.
As you might know, Booker worked with Zuckerberg to bring $100 million in funds to schools that needed it in Newark. It was a pretty huge deal, and a step in the right direction for Zuckberberg in the public eye, as this came on the tail of the release of “The Social Network.”
The pair even went on Oprah to discuss the donation.
Zuckerberg follows a long line of tech CEOs that have started charitable campaigns, namely Bill Gates, who founded Microsoft.
Coming off of his speech at the Democratic National Convention, Booker definitely brought his usual charismatic thunder to Disrupt.
- Current Companies #waywire, City of Newark
- Bio The Honorable Cory A. Booker is the Mayor of Newark, New Jersey. He took the oath of office as Mayor of New Jersey’s largest city on July 1, 2006 following a sweeping electoral victory. Elected with a clear mandate for change, Mayor Booker has begun work on realizing a bold vision for the city. Newark’s mission is to set a national standard for urban transformation by marshalling its resources …
- Full profile for Cory Booker
- Current Companies Facebook
- Bio Mark Zuckerberg is the founder and CEO of Facebook, which he started in his college dorm room in 2004 with roomates Dustin Moskovitz and Chris Hughes. Zuckerberg is responsible for setting the overall direction and product strategy for the company. He leads the design of Facebook’s service and development of its core technology and infrastructure. Mark studied computer science at Harvard University …
- Full profile for Mark Zuckerberg
Latest headlines delivered to you daily