The Wall Street Journal reports that T-Mobile will start selling the very first Android-powered smartphone in late October. (That is, of course, provided the world doesn’t descend into anarchy by then.) The paper cites “people familiar with the matter,” which is much better than citing “eh, just a feelin’ we have.”
Look for some sort of official announcement from T-Mobile on September 23.
Once again, the first Android phone will be the HTC Dream, and HTC is expected to ship between 600,000 and 700,000 of the smartphones.
But will Android be a big bust? That’s the question to ask now.
- Description Android is a software platform for mobile devices based on the Linux operating system and developed by Google and the Open Handset Alliance. It allows developers to write managed code in Java that utilizes Google-developed software libraries, but does not support programs developed in native code. The unveiling of the Android platform on 5 November 2007 was announced with the founding of the Open …
- Website http://code.google.com/android
- Full profile for Android
- Founded 1997
- Overview HTC Corp is engaged in the design, development, and manufacture of smartphones and tablets in Taiwan. The company offers PDA phones and smartphones for mobile operators and distributors in Europe, the United States, and Asia. These machines are available as HTC devices and as products individually customized for operators and device partners. The company provides its own HTC self-branded products …
- Location Taoyüan, T'ai-wan
- Categories Hardware + Software, Mobile
- Founders HT Cho
- Website http://www.htc.com
- Full profile for HTC Corp
- Founded 1998
- Overview Google is a multinational corporation that is specialized in internet-related services and products. The company’s product portfolio includes Google Search, which provides users with access to information online; Knowledge Graph that allows to search for things, people, or places as well as builds systems recognizing speech and understanding natural language; Google Now, which provides information …
- Location Mountain View, California
- Categories Software, Video Streaming, Email, Search, Information Technology, Blogging Platforms
- Founders Larry Page, Sergey Brin
- Website http://www.google.com
- Full profile for Google