While Gartner’s estimates show Apple inching ahead of Acer, with 1,397,000 units shipping during the second quarter to Acer’s 1,331,000 units; IDC’s pegs Apple at only 1,329,000 units to Acer’s 1,331,000. Either way Apple is gaining on Acer’s U.S. market share, and bucking sour economic trends. Gartner says that overall PC shipments in the U.S. grew just 4.2% year-over-year, while Apple’s shipments increased 38.1%.
Top U.S. PC vendors in both research firm’s findings were Dell and HP, with more than 5 million and 4 million units shipped respectively, during the quarter.
And IDC research manager David Daoud told Network World that he suspects Apple will sustain its strong growth in the U.S. market.
- Founded 1976
- Overview Acer is a hardware and electronics corporation that offers a range of hardware products and e-business services to businesses and consumers. Acer’s product portfolio includes desktop and laptop PCs, tablet computers, servers, storage devices, displays, smartphones, home network solutions, projectors, and peripherals. Acer’s ICT solutions and services include information security management, mobility …
- Location Taipei, T'ai-pei
- Categories Consumer Electronics, Hardware + Software
- Website http://www.acer-group.com/public
- Full profile for Acer
- Founded 1984
- Overview Dell is an end-to-end solutions provider that has evolved from a PC manufacturer to an enterprise IT solutions partner with servers, storage, networking,software and services that enable customers to drive results, create competitive advantage and expand their opportunities. Dell was acquired by founder Michael Dell and Silverlake Partners after having gone public in 1988.
- Location Round Rock, Texas
- Categories Hardware + Software
- Founders Michael Dell
- Website http://www.dell.com
- Full profile for Dell
- Founded 1979
- Overview Gartner Consulting provides fact-based consulting services that help their clients use and manage IT to enable business performance. Gartner's 1,200 analysts and resarchers offer consulting services and advice to business executives in 80 countries. In addition, Gartner publishes original research and answers client questions.
- Location Stamford, Connecticut
- Categories Consulting
- Website http://www.gartner.com
- Full profile for Gartner
- Founded 1964
- Overview IDC (International Data Corporation) is a global market intelligence and consulting firm. It specializes in providing market intelligence, advisory services, and events for the information technology, telecommunications, and consumer technology markets. It offers research through its divisions. IDC Energy Insights focuses on market and technology developments in the energy and utility industries. IDC …
- Location Framingham, Massachusetts
- Categories Consulting
- Website http://www.idc.com
- Full profile for IDC