NTT DoCoMo today announced two new cell phone series (906i and 706i), which will be launched in Japan over the next months. The company will offer a total of 19 handsets coming in 64 different body colors.
The 11 models of the 706i series feature extra-slim bodies. The P706iμ, for example, is just 9.8 mm thick (iPhone: 11.6 mm), making it the slimmest handset compatible to One-Seg-TV on the market. The 706i line-up also includes a waterproof model with a built-in One-Seg tuner (F706i) and an easy-to-use cell phone (P706ie). A so-called “Wellness” device (SH706iw), which enables the user to constantly monitor his or her diet and health through DoCoMo’s “healthio”-technology will also be available.
The 8 new models of the flagship 906i series all come with a range of features:
- 3G/GSM international roaming
- enhanced GPS location
- One-Seg TV tuner
- access to DoCoMo’s Music & Video channel
- upload of videos and photos up to 2 MB
- enhanced e-wallet functions
- DoCoMO’s 2 in 1 service (one phone can have two numbers)
- voice-to-text translation for English, Chinese and Japanese
- new browser including display of Windows Video (except for the F906i) and Flash 8 (except for the P906i)
- “Pocket U” function to remotely access the PC from the cell phone via VPN
- video transfer from Blu-ray recorders to the cell phone via USB
The P906i made by Panasonic will be available in Japan as early as June 1st. The other models of the 906i line-up follow in the same month. DoCoMo will start delivering the 706i series from June/July through September this year. The air for the iPhone is getting thinner in this country.