After using hundreds of thousands of hard drives in their quest for world domination, Google knows a thing or two about spinning platters. All of their hard work has been distilled into one academic paper describing correlations between hard drive age, manufacturer, and data density.
The most interesting finding? SMART, the system used to test hard drives for imminent failure, is all but worthless and there is no direct correlation between active usage and potential failure.
- Founded 1998
- Overview Google is a multinational corporation that is specialized in internet-related services and products. The company’s product portfolio includes Google Search, which provides users with access to information online; Knowledge Graph that allows to search for things, people, or places as well as builds systems recognizing speech and understanding natural language; Google Now, which provides information …
- Location Mountain View, California
- Categories Software, Video Streaming, Email, Search, Information Technology, Blogging Platforms
- Founders Larry Page, Sergey Brin
- Website http://www.google.com
- Full profile for Google