Hello and welcome back to Equity, TechCrunch’s venture capital-focused podcast where we unpack the numbers behind the headlines.
This is Equity Monday, our weekly kickoff that tracks the latest big news, chats about the coming week, digs into some recent funding rounds and mulls over a larger theme or narrative from the private markets. You can follow the show on Twitter here and myself here — and don’t forget to check out last Friday’s episode.
- American equities are set to rise, which is good news for the startup-VC world, as it means that the current up-cycle will continue. But the good public market is not landing evenly, as Europe sees its VC-backed IPO tally lag the rest of the world.
- The biggest recent news stories in tech and venture were Alibaba’s enormous Sun Art deal that echoes the Amazon-Whole Foods deal at first blush, and SpaceX’s latest success. The quiet weekend could herald the return of a slower, holiday news cycle as we close in on November.
On the funding front, we found three super cool startups:
- AiFi raised $14.5 million in a round that Crunchbase News covered. Autonomous, checkout-free stores? Count us in.
- Lawmatics raised a $2.5 million seed round. The startup does vertical SaaS (CRM, marketing) for lawyers. That just sounds lucrative.
- And then there was Chiper, which put together a $12 million round to help build out its e-commerce service in Latin America. Investors Monashees, Kaszek Ventures and WIND Ventures put up the money.
That’s all we got. The show is back in just a few days. Hugs!