We’re back for a new episode of OMG/JK — featuring both of your hosts reunited in the TCHQ studio (I was back in SF for our Mobile First CrunchUp). Oh, and this episode also includes a cameo by a man in a large yellow jacket. I won’t spoil it.
We kick off this week’s episode by diving into Twitter’s new ad format, which allows brands to place Promoted Tweets at the top of their followers’ streams. Twitter has long been toying with various ad formats — will this one please users, or just annoy them?
Next up we have Facebook’s secret iPad application, which leaked out as part of an official update to its iPhone application. MG got his hands on the app and tested it before Facebook cut off access, and his first impressions are good — tune in to get the details.
Finally we discuss Airbnb’s recent fiasco, where a host had their home destroyed by guests,and how the startup has responded to the issue. Note that this episode was shot a few days ago, so we don’t discuss our most recent post about the situation.
Here are some posts relevant to this week’s episode:
- Twitter’s Adam Bain Talks Promoted Tweets In Timelines — Why You’ll See Them, And Why You’ll Like It
- And Then There Were Ads: Promoted Tweets Appear In Your Main Stream (If You Follow That Brand)
- Facebook’s iPad App Is Hidden Inside Of Their iPhone App
- Facebook’s Secret iPad App Exposed [Pictures]
- The Moment Of Truth For Airbnb As User’s Home Is Utterly Trashed
- On Safety: A Word From Airbnb
- Airbnb Victim Speaks Again: Homeless, Scared And Angry