Windows 8

Windows 8.x Busts Past 10% Market Share As Windows 7 Rises, XP Falls

According to Net Applications, Windows 8.x crossed the 10% barrier in December of 2013. Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 ended the year with 6.89% and 3.60% apiece for a combined 10.49% total market share. I

Windows 8.1 Surpasses Windows Vista Among Steam Users, Drives Windows 8.x Over The 18% Mark

The Windows 8.x family of operating systems had a <a href="">rough November</a>,

Developers Can Now Use Facebook Login In Windows 8, Windows Phone 8 Applications

Developers can now use Facebook login inside their Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 applications, helping users move from the start screen of an app and into its use more quickly. The move lowers the pro

Microsoft Releases Code To Fix Surface RT Tablets Borked By Windows RT 8.1 Upgrade

The Windows RT 8.1 upgrade <a href="">is on hiatus</a> until Microsoft can f

Microsoft Promises Quick App Approvals Following Windows 8.1 Release

After a public face plant regarding the release of its operating system update to developers, Microsoft <a target="_blank" href="

Windows 8 Passes 8% Market Share, But Windows 7 Grows Faster In September

Windows 8 picked up 0.61 percent market share in September to end the month at 8.02 percent, crossing the eight percent threshold for the first time according to Net Applications. In the same timefram

Mozilla Launches Preview Of Firefox For Windows 8 Tablets

Mozilla's <a target="_blank" href="">long-delayed</a> Firefox for Windows 8 tablets has finally made its first public ap

Foursquare Launches Its Windows 8 And RT Apps For More Beautiful Local Exploration

Foursquare first pulled back the curtain on its native Windows 8 app back at Microsoft's BUILD conference last June and proceeded to keep the project under wraps since then. After quietly cranking awa

Windows 8.1 Is Ready, But You Can’t Have It Until October

It's ready, kids. Today <a target="_blank" href="">Microsoft announced</a> that Windows 8.1 h

Wacom Reveals Cintiq Companion Windows 8 And Android Tablets, Intuos Pressure-Sensitive iPad Stylus

Wacom promised a standalone tablet solution earlier this year, to be revealed this summer, and now they're revealing not one, but two such devices. The new Cintiq Companion and Companion Hybrid bring

Windows 8.1 Launches Digitally October 17, Hits Store Shelves October 18

Microsoft is making its Windows 8.1 launch date official: mark October 18 on your calendars, you devotees of Ballmer and Redmond. That's when the free update for Windows 8 users arrives in-store as bo

Weak Touch-Based Laptop Sales Harming Windows 8’s Shot At Being The Next Big Platform

Windows 8 is a bet on touch. However Microsoft's fortunes in the touch wars are unimpressive and perhaps even slipping. IDC estimated that in 2013, between 17 and 18% of laptops sold would sport a

Bitcasa Partners With Samsung To Offer Unlimited Cloud Storage On All Of Its Windows 8 Devices

Today <a href="">Bitcasa</a>, <a href="

Microsoft Tells Windows Phone Fans To Chill In Response To Complaints, More Updates Coming This Year

It's been quiet on the Windows Phone front since late 2012, when Windows Phone 8 hit the public markets alongside Windows 8. Since then, Microsoft has aggressively worked to iron out the quirks from W

Touch: Where Microsoft Went Wrong

Microsoft had a pretty bad week. The software giant announced disastrous earnings, which prompted its stock to tank more than 11 percent the next day. One reason for the bad quarter was the $900 milli

As Microsoft Doubles Down On Touch, The Desktop Becomes Even More Of An Afterthought

The <a href="">Windows 8.1 Preview version</a> has no

Samsung’s Shape-Shifting Ativ Q Isn’t Pretty, But Running Windows 8 And Android May Make It A Worthy Workhorse

Samsung just pulled back the curtain on a new line of Ativ Windows notebooks, but perhaps the most interesting of the company's new Ativs is a 13.3-inch convertible tablet it hopes will appeal those p

Samsung Reveals The Ativ Q, A Convertible Windows 8 Tablet That Runs Android, Too

Samsung has just kicked off its Premiere event at Earls Court in London, and decided to lead with one particularly curious device -- in addition to the ability to transform from a 2.8-pound tablet to

Microsoft Debuts Crowdfunding Program For Student Laptops, Offers Office 365 Free To First 10K Participants

Microsoft is introducing a new pilot project today called "<a target="_blank" href="">Chip In</a>," which sees the Windows-maker offering to help students crowdsource l

Microsoft, Stop Trying To Make Windows RT Happen

Bloomberg is <a target="_blank" href="">reporting</a> this morning that Microsoft is cutting the price of W
Load More