The trailer kicks off with a preview of the first episode, showing viewers a haunting scenario that — much like every “Black Mirror” episode — is something no subscriber wants to experience.
Titled “Joan is Awful,” episode one features a Netflix lookalike called “Streamberry,” which even has the same iconic “ta-dum” sound that Netflix plays for three seconds when users open the platform. Starring “Schitt’s Creek” actress Annie Murphy as Joan, the episode is a dark twist on “The Truman Show.” Joan discovers that the streaming service has released a TV drama adaptation of her life, where she is portrayed by Salma Hayek.
The new trailer continues with more sneak peek clips of the highly anticipated five-episode season. Other notable cast members include Michael Cera, Rob Delaney, Aaron Paul, Josh Hartnett, Rory Culkin, Kate Mara, Zazie Beetz and Himesh Patel, among others.
Earlier this month, Netflix blog Tudum released the following episode descriptions, which tell viewers what they can expect this season:
- Ep. 1, Joan is Awful: An average woman is stunned to discover a global streaming platform has launched a prestige TV drama adaptation of her life — in which she is portrayed by Hollywood A-lister Salma Hayek.
- Ep. 2, Loch Henry: A young couple travel to a sleepy Scottish town to start work on a genteel nature documentary — but find themselves drawn to a juicy local story involving shocking events of the past.
- Ep. 3, Beyond the Sea: In an alternative 1969, two men on a perilous high-tech mission wrestle with the consequences of an unimaginable tragedy.
- Ep. 4, Mazey Day: A troubled starlet is dogged by invasive paparazzi while dealing with the consequences of a hit-and-run incident.
- Ep. 5, Demon 79: Northern England, 1979. A meek sales assistant is told she must commit terrible acts to prevent disaster.