Apple has lost a challenge in the German court system that sought to overturn an earlier ruling, which voided its patent for ‘swipe to unlock’ in Europe.
The patent (EP1964022) was granted back in 2010 and was used to win an injunction against Motorola smartphones (back when Moto was owned by Google) in 2012. Motorola has since appealed the injunction, with a decision dependent on Tuesday’s outcome.
According to Deutsche Welle, which first spotted the ruling, the Federal Court of Justice ruled that the Apple patent didn’t fit the European requirements, namely that it didn’t provide a technical solution for users, but rather was an added convenience.
The courts also added that a Swedish company, Neonode, had already developed the swipe to unlock feature before Apple ever introduced the iPhone.
The decision may have implications for the continuing legal battle between Lenovo-owned Motorola and Apple.
- Founded 1976
- Overview Apple is a multinational corporation that designs, manufactures, and markets mobile communication and media devices, personal computers, portable digital music players, and sells a variety of related software, services, peripherals, networking solutions, and third-party digital content and applications. Apple provides many products and services, including iPhone; iPad; iPod; Mac; Apple TV; a portfolio …
- Location Cupertino, CA
- Categories Consumer Electronics, Retail, Hardware, Software, Electronics
- Website http://www.apple.com
- Full profile for Apple
- Founded 1998
- Overview Google is a multinational corporation that is specialized in internet-related services and products. The company’s product portfolio includes Google Search, which provides users with access to information online; Knowledge Graph that allows users to search for things, people, or places as well as builds systems recognizing speech and understanding natural language; Google Now, which provides information …
- Location Mountain View, CA
- Categories Search Engine, Blogging Platforms, Ad Network, Email, Video Streaming, Software, Information Technology
- Website http://www.google.com/
- Full profile for Google
- Bio Steve Jobs was the co-founder and CEO of [Apple](http://www.crunchbase.com/company/apple) and formerly [Pixar](/company/pixar). Steve Jobs was born in San Francisco, California to Joanne Simpson and a Syrian father. Paul and Clara Jobs of Mountain View, California then adopted him. In 1972, Jobs graduated from Homestead High School in Cupertino, California and enrolled in Reed College in Portland, …
- Full profile for Steve Jobs
- Founded 1985
- Overview Lenovo is one of the world's leading personal technology companies, producing innovative PCs and mobile internet devices. A global Fortune 500 company, Lenovo is the world's largest PC vendor and fourth largest smartphone company. While the Lenovo brand came into existence only in 2004, the company has a much longer history. In 1984, Legend Holdings was formed with 200,000 RMB (US$25,000) in a …
- Location Morrisville, NC
- Categories Computer, Hardware, Manufacturing, Mobile
- Website http://www.lenovo.com
- Full profile for Lenovo
- Founded 2011
- Overview Motorola is known around the world for innovation in communications and is focused on advancing the way the world connects. From broadband communications infrastructure, enterprise mobility and public safety solutions to mobile and wireline digital communication devices that provide compelling experiences, Motorola is leading the next wave of innovations that enable people, enterprises and governments …
- Location Libertyville, IL
- Categories Mobile
- Website http://www.motorola.com
- Full profile for Motorola Mobility