Handy Hits $1 Million A Week In Bookings As Cleaning Economy Consolidates

Next Story

Android Ads Arrive In Time For Rumored Nexus 6 And 9 Reveal

The market for online and mobile cleaning and home repair booking services is taking off and Handy is set to announce some big numbers.

Two years after its launch, Handy has hit over $1 million in bookings per week. “We’ve gone from about $3 million in run rate to $52 million in run rate,” says chief operating officer, Umang Dua.

IMG_1439_1 (1)For Hanrahan and Dua, the new on-demand service economy offers a better model for both consumers and service professionals. With the company’s new mobile app, Hanrahan says “our cleaners say it’s like an ATM machine in your pocket.”

For most cleaning professionals on Handy, the hourly wage is between $15 and $22 per hour, averaging around $18 per hour. “It gives you the ability to pick your own hours and it gives you a healthy hourly wage,” Hanrahan says.

The revenue numbers come as both Handy and Homejoy have taken steps in recent months to re-define their businesses through new branding and new apps for mobile devices (respectively).

Increasingly, consumers are getting comfortable with the idea of booking services through their mobile phone and with mandated background checks on both the national and county level followed by an onboarding process, Handy service professionals are thoroughly vetted.

“We think the Handy platform will be a remote control for your home. We want to gt to a place where we’ll roll out all of those service categories in an instant book kind of way,” says Hanrahan.

Both Handy and Homejoy see themselves as providing services beyond just home cleaning, but for Handy at least, the bulk of the company’s ballooning revenue is still coming from housecleaning. In fact, roughly 85% of the company’s money comes from cleaning, with the remaining 15% split between “handyman services and a small number of plumbing services”, according to Hanrahan.

Handy is currently in 25 cities in the U.S., two in Canada, and offering services in London. “We’ve had over 200,000 applications to the site for potential cleaners and handymen, and has over 5,000 active professionals who complete at least one job in a month.