500 Startups today is announcing the next 28 companies to take part in its Accelerator program, unleashing a largely international class of startups who have come to Mountain View to accelerate their startup progress. There are 28 companies in this Accelerator class, and as usual there’s a bunch of diversity there. (And, as has become tradition, the class made a ghetto fabulous music video to accompany the announcement.)
The group is more than 70 percent international, with 20 companies coming from outside the U.S. That’s no big surprise, as about 15 percent of the 500 Startups portfolio in general is made up of companies outside the U.S., but over the last several batches, the accelerator has skewed heavily toward overseas and non-Silicon Valley companies.
This class includes startups from Brazil, Chile, China, Ghana, India, Israel, Japan, Jordan, Mexico, Spain, Switzerland, Taiwan, Ukraine and Vietnam. With Dropifi (Ghana), as well as Dakwak and Tamatem (both from Jordan), the 500 Startups Accelerator has added its first companies from Africa and the Middle East.
Notably, this batch was the first which was chosen entirely through applications posted to AngelList, so it no doubt includes a few startups that 500 Startups founding partner and Sith Lord Dave McClure probably wouldn’t have heard about otherwise.
The program began mid-April, and 500 Startups expects to have its Demo Days in Mountain View, San Francisco, and New York City sometime in July. In the meantime, enjoy the music video they put together to announce themselves, below. Oh, and here’s the list of startups:
- AppSocially – Make your app’s Viral Loop awesome with an API that lets you track activity and conversion – allowing you to take action using customer data.
- BinPress – We increase adoption of open source in SMBs and enterprises.
- BoxC – We make buying directly from sellers in China as fast and safe as buying from Amazon.
- Credii – We arm businesses with all the intelligence they need to make smart software and service choices.
- Dakwak – Effortless website translation technology.
- Dropifi – An intelligent replacement for mailtos
and dumb contact forms. It makes customer support more effective, increases lead generation and generates valuable business insights.
- Feast – The online cooking school for the common man. It offers simple cooking guides that teach impressive techniques and recipes with an online community where you can ask questions and get feedback as you cook.
- Floqq – Makes it easy for anyone anywhere to learn the skills they need.
- Flyer – We empower commercial real estate agencies to create beautiful property flyers online.
- Geekatoo – We offer local and onsite tech support at a great value. Customers receive competing bids on tech support needs from verified providers.
- GreenGar – Seamless realtime collaboration on mobile devices. We’re building a platform that enables apps to intuitively connect people together.
- InstaGIS – Geographic information system that allows retail stores to target their audiences.
- KiteReaders – Publishing platform for publishers & authors to create, distribute, and market their children’s picture books for iBooks, Kindle, and Nook.
- Koemei – Algorithmic transcription of videos for search and accessibility, helping education and large enterprises gain value from their video investments.
- Mayvenn – Empowers the 95 percent of African American salons that do not retail products. Our mobile commerce solution eliminates a salons inventory cost and opens a new revenue stream for their business.
- PinMyPet – Social-based software for monitoring and improving the experience between pets and owners. It works with powerful, small and low-cost hardware for realtime health and location detection.
- POPAPP – App to fast sketch app prototypes.
- PriceBaba – PriceBaba is a product (re)search engine that lets you shop in your vicinity.
- Reesio – Turns the real estate transaction process into one beautiful flow for agents, clients, and third parties.
- School Admissions – Making school admissions and education tension-free. Disrupting the process of choosing the right school for your child and parents.
- Seat 14A – A complete and affordable ensemble for the discerning man every week.
- SeMeAntoja – We empower restaurants to accept orders online.
- Sverve – Sverve is a self-service influencer marketing platform for small businesses. We connect small businesses with female social media influencers to promote their products and services on the social web.
- Tamatem – Tamatem is a mobile gaming development studio and publisher focused on creating culturally relevant games for the huge unaddressed Arabic gaming market.
- TRDATA – We are the Bloomberg for emerging markets. We collect accurate real-time market information from remote places from scattered and illiquid markets.
- Tushky – Self-service online platform to monetize free time by offering interesting activities.
- WHILL – Next generation of personal mobility for wheelchair users and the elderly.