BlackBerry Curve 9320 Allegedly Explodes On A Boy’s Bed, Setting It On Fire

An 11-year-old boy named Kian McCreath from the UK says that a BlackBerry Curve 9320 exploded on his bed after being removed from the charger, leading the bed to erupt into flames and burn the boy’s legs. RIM is preparing to launch a full investigation into the matter once the family provides the phone and the charger accused of this tragic accident.

According to her interview with the Belfast Telegraph, mother Sarah McCreath had just unplugged the phone before putting it on her son’s bed.

“I thought nothing of it, made a cup of tea, then a heard a really loud ‘pop’ sound,” Sarah told the Telegraph. “Kian started screaming at the top of his voice, shouting ‘My bed’s on fire!’.”

Kian has since been taken to the hospital, and his family is looking for a recall of the device from stores.

We’ve heard before about crappy Chinese knockoffs getting overheated and exploding, but I haven’t ever heard of something quite so gruesome. However, the family has yet to produce the allegedly dangerous handset and its charger, so it’s possible that something else started the fire.

Here’s what RIM has to say about it:

RIM takes claims of this nature very seriously and a senior member of our team met with the family today to initiate a full investigation into this matter. In order to proceed with this investigation, we require the products that were involved in this incident to be made available for a full technical review.

At this point in time, the family has not provided RIM with the battery or charger for analysis and have said they are unable to locate the device itself. We have a team on standby to conduct this investigation as a priority as soon as the family makes these products available to us.

RIM is committed to ensuring our products are safe and we invest significantly in R&D and testing to ensure we meet or exceed all regulatory standards here in the UK and around the world.

At least, for RIM’s sake, it wasn’t a BlackBerry Torch.