Restaurant reservations service OpenTable is launching a completely redesigned mobile website today based on HTML5. The company says it was prompted to make the changes due to customer demand. Since 2008, the company has seated more than 15 million diners through both its mobile website and apps, representing over $600 million in revenue for its restaurant customers. These days, OpenTable mobile solutions account for more than 1 million diners seated per month.
The updated website offers a new look and feel, and was designed with a focused effort to better mirror the mobile app experience. Like OpenTable’s native apps, the site can now use geolocation to find nearby restaurants with tables available. Diners can also refine searches by neighborhood, cuisine and price, plus access photos, maps, menus and parking info. In addition, it also offers the most highly requested feature: reviews from other OpenTable diners.
The updated website is currently supported on Android, iPhone, Windows Phone and BlackBerry devices, which is kind of funny, considering that the company already has apps for all those platforms. It seems that no matter how big you get, you can never ignore the biggest platform of them all: the Web.
OpenTable also recently added a new Android Honeycomb (tablet) app, updated its Windows Phone app to support Mango’s Live Tiles for reservation reminders and updated its iOS apps to allow users to export reservations to their calendars.
In an accompanying infographic, OpenTable revealed a few more tidbits of data, including the following:
- OpenTable diners have spent $10+ billion at OpenTable restaurants worldwide
- 250+ million diners have been seated
- 7+ million diners are seated per month
- There are 20,000+ OpenTable restaurants worldwide and 12,000+ in the U.S.
- 9% of all reservations in North America are seated via OpenTable (as of Dec. 2010)
- 49% of OpenTable diners have booked an out-of-town reservation in the past year
- OpenTable diners have generated over 10 million reviews since 2008
- 400,000 diner reviews are created each month
- 30% of reservations are booked when the restaurants are closed