Want to experience the joy of Kinect, but happen to have a small living room? Nyko wants to help you out. They also want to help you out if you are in any way unhappy with your 3DS. Well, no, it can’t actually make the 3D “sweet spot” bigger, but their new accessories do help in other ways.
The Kinect add-on they’ve created (top) is called the Zoom, and it reduces the minimum distance necessary to use the Kinect by (they say) about 40%. That means you’ll only need three or four feet of clear space in front of it, though your mileage may vary. In our review, we found that at least seven or eight were necessary with a stock Kinect. If you find yourself having to move furniture too often, in any case, then this might be a help. Hopefully there are no adverse effects from distortion or whatnot.
For the 3DS, they’ve got a couple little extras: The Shock n’ Rock is a case for your system that adds a ton of battery life, gives you improved sound via four larger speakers, and even boosts the vibration function. If all you need is more battery or a better grip, they’ve got the Game Boost and Power Grip for those. Then there’s the Play Clock, which turns your expensive 3D gaming machine into an alarm system. Practical!
No pricing or availability yet on these, but we’ll ask when we drop by their booth tomorrow.
Nyko debuts peripherals for 3DS, Kinect and PS3 at global gaming convention
LOS ANGELES – June 6, 2011 – Leading gaming peripherals manufacturer Nyko Technologies® today announced their upcoming product line-up to be showcased at the 2011 Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3), taking place June 7-9 in Los Angeles. The line-up includes Zoom for Kinect, a bold new peripheral that allows Microsoft’s motion-sensing camera to function in smaller environments. Nyko is also introducing a variety of innovative new accessories for the Nintendo 3DS, including new products for charging up, rocking out, and even waking up! Also new this year is a revamped controller dock for PlayStation 3. With a focus on offering real gaming solutions, Nyko continues their tradition of innovation and affordable, high quality design.
“Nyko has been showing off new products at E3 for a dozen years straight, and we can’t wait for players to see the 2011 lineup,” said Chris Arbogast, director of marketing at Nyko Technologies. “With 3D and gesture-gaming, this year is all about finding new ways to enjoy video games. We’ve developed new accessories that bring the fun of gaming to even more players, regardless of long plane trips and cramped living rooms.”
Nyko’s E3 2011 product line-up includes:
• Zoom for Kinect – Specially-designed lenses in a simple clip-on accessory allows Kinect gaming in smaller living rooms and apartments by reducing the distance required for the Kinect to function properly by up to 40%. The Zoom requires no additional power or batteries and is compatible with any Kinect game for both single and multiplayer use.
• Shock n’ Rock for 3DS – The ultimate 3DS add-on offers 3x the battery life and 4 powered speakers providing crisp, loud surround sound for any environment. Added vibration feedback gives each and every 3DS game an extra level of immersion while the ergonomic design provides comfort for extended gameplay sessions.
• Game Boost for 3DS – A snap-on backup battery that is lightweight and can be installed quickly, it provides up to an extra 1 – 2 hours worth of juice through the existing battery contacts.
• Play Clock for 3DS – Wake up with your 3DS fully charged every morning with this combination charging dock, alarm clock and powered speaker system. Ideal for storing and charging your 3DS. The built in line-in port allows you to easily hook up any MP3 player or audio device.
• Power Grip for 3DS – This external battery with ergonomic grip offers up to 3x the battery life. The Power Grip does not require players to remove the existing battery while also providing a ergonomic grip for added comfort and stability.
• Charge Base 3 for PS3 – Rapidly charge two PlayStation 3 controllers with this stylish new vertical design of a best-selling item. Nyko’s unique, magnetic charging adaptors allow for easy charging, with no ports or cables required.