They even recruited gaming industry vet Mark DeLoura (formerly of Ubisoft, Sony Computer Entertainment America, Nintendo and others) as developer advocate for game-related products, though he quit after only 4 months on the job (he’s now a VP at THQ).
This morning, a job offer surfaced on Google’s LinkedIn profile that suggests the search and online advertising juggernaut is ramping up its stake in the digital games ground. Colleague Leena Rao noticed a Google games-related job post back in May of last year, so it seems that recruiting continues.
(Thanks to the anonymous tipster who sent this in).
According to the job offer, pasted in full below, Google is looking for a Product Manager to “grow its brand-new business – Games at Google!”. It was posted earlier today.
Based in Mountain View, this person will be responsible for designing “strategies for game distribution and discovery, player identity, game mechanics, and more”.
The company notably writes in the job description that the new Google Games product manager will be “significantly influencing Google’s social platform”, which means he or she will likely end up reporting to Vic Gundotra (SVP of Social).
We’ll also note that Google co-founder Larry Page just took up the role of CEO (again) earlier this month, so there’s always the possibility that Page is responsible for the company to reinvigorate its online gaming efforts.
Either way, anyone still in doubt that Google is definitely preparing a big move into online games land – Eric Schmidt, perhaps? – better reconsider.
Product Manager, Games – Mountain View
Google – California , Mountain View (Global HQ) (United States)
This position is based in Mountain View, CA.
The area: Product Management
One of the many reasons Google consistently brings innovative, world-changing products to market is because of the collaborative work we do in Product Management. With eyes focused squarely on the future, our team works closely with creative and prolific engineers to help design and develop technologies that improve access to the world’s information. We’re responsible for guiding products throughout the execution cycle, focusing specifically on analyzing, positioning, packaging, promoting and tailoring our solutions to all the markets where Google does business.
The role: Product Manager, Games
Rare opportunity to grow a brand-new business – Games at Google! We are looking for a strategic, technical and game-loving Product Manager to drive Google’s gaming strategy. You will design strategies for game distribution and discovery, player identity, game mechanics, and more. In addition to designing a great user experience and building out key partnerships, you will be significantly influencing Google’s social platform as you work directly with a critical set of early adopters, game developers. Interesting and impactful decisions involving social gaming, privacy, virality, business, and technical APIs await you and the strong, passionate team of gamers you will work with.
• Drive feature requirements for Google’’s gaming platform
• Work with business development and developer relations to drive gaming partnerships/ content deals
• Initiate and prioritize projects within engineering, assist in determining the best technical implementation methods, track product development, and develop product launch plans.
• Establish partnerships internally and externally to drive the growth of games
• Technical undergraduate degree or equivalent experience; Masters degree preferred.
• Product management experience with a track record of creating innovative and winning Internet or software solutions.
• Entrepreneurial experience and a penchant for creating great products is highly valued.
• Demonstrated ability to gather user requirements and convert them into a winning product vision.
• Strong quantitative and analytical abilities with a deep understanding of gaming platforms