Today JBL has announced the launch of their new MS-8 digital processor for the car stereo. Its basically an $800 supercomputer in a box designed to optimize all sounds coming from your speakers.
Similar to home audio receivers, the MS-8 comes loaded with a binaural microphone that allows it to make automatic adjustments to the processing of your sound. Even if you have a stock stereo, it’s going to make your sound better. In fact, it’s the easiest way to make a huge difference is your cars stereo without having to buy new speakers and amplifiers. The install is claimed to be fairly easy, but we’ll find out when we get our hands on one. And we do want to get our hands on one.
Official Press Release:
NORTHRIDGE, CA – Harman International Industries, Incorporated (NYSE:HAR), today announced the launch of the new JBL® MS-8 integration digital processor. Unless you’re driving a classic, your car probably came from the factory with speakers, a CD player and an amplifier. Improving the sound quality in the car is a confusing technical process of choosing components from a wall of speakers, radios and amplifiers. Then it would have to be installed in a cumbersome and invasive process. But JBL engineers have invented a simple solution to achieving a luxurious in-car audio experience: the brand-new MS-8.
Announcement Highlights/Key Facts:
- The MS-8 frees you from buying components and getting them installed. It is designed to be added to your existing system to make what you already have sound great. At the heart of the MS-8 is a powerful digital signal processor that maximizes frequency response, bass performance, dynamics, clarity, detail and stereo imaging in your car from any combination of factory-installed or aftermarket components.
- Hardcore car audio enthusiasts can change the sound to suit their preferences by using its display and wireless controller.
- The MS-8 includes a simple, step-by-step, menu-driven calibration based on detailed input from an included binaural microphone headset. It optimizes up to eight input channels, producing a flat-response and full-bandwidth signal.
- Premier sound-optimization technology such as digital sound processing (DSP) equalization and DSP time correctionautomatically improves tonal accuracy and compensates for the characteristics of the car’s existing speakers, electronics and cabin interior.
- The resulting sound enters the listener’s ears simultaneously from all individual speakers within the car, improving clarity and stereo imaging. Anyone in the vehicle can have best-seat-in-the-house performance.
- Graphic equalizer with 31 bands can override automatic equalization to suit personal taste
- Memory stores calibration settings for up to four seating positions
- Digital crossover function allows precise, user-selectable crossover points and crossover slopes for up to eight separate outputs
- Logic 7® technology creates the ideal 5.1- or 7.1-channel surround-sound experience from two-channel source material
- Preamplifier controls manage system volume, subwoofer volume, left/right balance, front/rear fader and bass/mid/treble tone controls, and override DSP equalization, time correction and Logic 7 processing
- Favorite settings store up to five custom settings for one-button recall
- LCD display includes five-line, 128×64-pixel screen that displays setup menus and operation status
- Wireless RF remote controls menu navigation, volume and mute function
- Other features include onboard 20W x 8 amplifier, eight-channel preamp-level and speaker-level inputs and outputs, and full-range stereo auxiliary input
Christopher M. Dragon, director of consumer and field marketing, Harman Consumer, Inc.
“No one has ever invented an entirely new approach and product that transforms how consumers easily and non-invasively upgrade the music experience in their car. Literally, it is a box that encapsulates some of the most advanced technology in the world. And with it, people will never experience music in their vehicle the same way again.”
Gary Biggs, applications specialist, Harman Consumer, Inc
“If you want to try your hand at installation, the MS-8 will let you fine-tune and manipulate the sound to customize your very own in-car listening experience, unique to your personal taste and needs. With unrivaled, never-before-seen JBL technology, the MS-8 is redefining and reshaping the entire in-car sound customization experience.”
Pricing and Availability
The JBL MS-8 system integration digital processor’s selling price is $799 and available now.