This is cutting it close. Sony had previously promised to make the 3G-equipped Reader Daily Edition available before Christmas and the company just announced it’s shipping out pre-orders placed before December 20th. The rest? Well, you’re SOL like some folks that ordered the Nook.
But don’t expect to order one right now and get it before Friday. The $399 flagship Sony is currently backordered, which reinforces our thought that ebook readers were this year’s hottest gifts. Besides those damn Zu-Zu things.
SONY’S READER DAILY EDITION NOW SHIPPING
SAN DIEGO – December 21, 2009 – Delivering on its goal of getting the newest edition of its Reader family into customers’ hands for the holidays, Sony today announced the Reader Daily Edition™ is now shipping. Pre-orders placed on SonyStyle.com through December 20 should begin arriving to customers within the next 48 hours.
The Reader Daily Edition has garnered intense interest since its unveiling earlier this year, with pre-orders exceeding expectations. The device gives consumers wireless access to Sony’s Reader™ Store from most of the U.S., via AT&T’s 3G mobile broadband network. Book lovers can browse, purchase and download books as well as select newspapers on the go. There are no monthly fees or transaction charges for the basic wireless connectivity and users still have the option to side load personal documents or content from other compatible sites via USB.
The Reader Daily Edition is optimized for newspapers and offers periodical content in an elegant, easy-to-read format. The Reader Daily Edition’s responsive, menu-driven, seven-inch touch screen lets readers quickly and intuitively navigate newspapers, turn pages, highlight text and take notes with the swipe of a finger or by using the included stylus pen.
The following newspapers are currently available for wireless delivery to the Reader: The Wall Street Journal, Financial Times, Los Angeles Times and Chicago Tribune. Sony has agreements in place with a host of additional magazine and newspaper publishers, including exclusive offerings from The Wall Street Journal and New York Post, that will be available soon.
· The new Reader Daily Edition is now shipping and pre-orders placed on SonyStyle.com through December 20 should begin arriving to customers’ homes before Christmas.
· The Reader Daily Edition provides wireless access to Sony’s Reader Store from most of the U.S.
· Wireless access is provided by AT&T’s 3G mobile broadband network.
· The Wall Street Journal, Financial Times, Los Angeles Times and Chicago Tribune are currently available on the Reader Daily Edition.
· Sony has agreements in place with a host of additional magazine and newspaper publishers that will be available soon
· The Reader Daily Edition’s seven-inch wide, full touch screen display provides intuitive navigation and comfortable layout of content, including newspapers and magazines, in portrait or landscape orientation.
For more details on the Reader Daily Edition please visit sonystyle.com; Sony’s online destination for book lovers – wordsmoveme.com; or the Sony Electronics Community, which includes a corporate blog, video, photos, polls and profiles.