I know that there’s a certain of percentage of people who want nothing to do with Modern Warfare 2. It’s all meatheads and explosions, right? I’m inclined to agree to a degree—Opie and Anthony were talking about the game this morning, and a real life member of the military called in and complained, “If you want to play war, why not join the Army?”—but no matter. There’s plenty of things to do today that have nothing to do with the game. Let’s take a look!
• Maybe you want to see a good movie? Star-Trek is now out on Blu-ray, and you can find—wink, wink!—a Blu-ray rip of Public Enemies online. Pretty good movie, and it totally makes you want to rob a bank. That was the point, right? Also keep your eyes peeled for the movie Moon, which has a very Solyaris feel to it.
• Do you read books still, either of the paper variety or using one of those new-fangled e-book devices? I’ll go ahead and recommend Viral Loop by my old professor Adam Penenberg. It’s about how businesses grow on the Internet. If you read TechCrunch for pleasure then you’ll probably like it. If you’re into sports at all, you may want to track down a copy of Brett Hart’s autobiography, My Life Inside The Cartoon World of Wrestling. The paperback version came out a few days ago, and I’m waiting for the UPS man to deliver it. I’m very excited.
• Sort of on the same topic of books, download the game Fatale for $7. It’s an interactive version of Oscar Wilde’s play Salome.
• Start making appointments for CES. Oh, wait, that’s us~!
• Download and watch every single Fedor Emelianenko fight from Usenet. (Thank God for alt.binaries.mma!) I recommend his fights with Antônio Rodrigo Noguiera and Mirko Cro Cop. Oh, Pride, how I miss thee.
• Fire up Silent Hill 2 and lament to yourself, “Why hasn’t a game been able to convey sheer and utter hopelessness like this game did eight years ago?”
• Download Microsoft COFEE for the sole reason of saying to your friends, “Dude, I just downloaded Microsoft COFEE. I have no idea what it does, and I have no idea how to use it, but it’s so great.”
• Download the Sirius XM App for the iPhone (and iPod touch), then leave it on channel 202 The Virus. Let’s face it: Opie & Anthony and Ron & Fez are the only reason to pay for Sirius XM these days.
• Take the push-up challenge, and become a reasonable facsimile of a fit person.
• Do some Christmas ( or whatever holiday you celebrate) shopping. Only a couple of weeks left!
• Read the latest issue of Figure 4 Weekly, or read an exciting back issue of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter.
See, there’s plenty of stuff to do today if you want nothing to do with Modern Warfare 2. It’s a big world out there, tiger, and it’s up to you to make the most of it. Unlike me~!