Let’s just forget about all those silly leaks from the last two weeks and imagine that this is the first time we’ve heard of the Pentax K-7. Deal? Most of the specs were a tad off if that helps.
Pentax announced today their seventh generation SLR, the K-7. The latest K-series SLR is chock full of features in a compact magnesium alloy body that’s just as rugged as its predecessors. Under the hood lies a brand new Samsung 14.6-megapixel CMOS sensor with four channel output, a 77-segment metering system, dedicated AF-assist lamp, electronic level, dedicated mirror lock-up, a 100 percent field-of-view viewfinder and HDR image capture mode. Pentax also implemented a HD video capture mode (w/ mic jack) with a default resolution of 1280×720 with a 16:9 aspect ratio at 30fps. Users can adjust quality, resolution and control aperture in movie mode as well.
Other notable specs, include ISO 100-3200(expandable to 6400), 1/8000 to 30 second shutter speed and 5.2fps in drive mode up to 40 frames. Shake Reduction now compensates for rotational sensor movement. The UI has seen an overhaul and is similar to the K-2000’s UI.
Aside from the K-7, Pentax has announced the D-BG4 battery grip, smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR and the smc DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED WR kit lenses.
The battery grip ships in July for $230. The DA 18-55mm and DA 50-200mm also ship in July for $200 and $250, respectively. The K-7 will be sold sans lens for $1300 and ships during my birthday month, July.
The entire spec sheet can be downloaded here.
• A compact, magnesium alloy body that is one of the smallest in the advanced photo enthusiast category to reduce bulk and allow users to travel light while maintaining durability and build quality (seven percent smaller than the K20D and up to 25 percent smaller than other cameras in the same class).
• A new 14.6 megapixel CMOS sensor rebuilt from the ground up to minimize noise, adds four channel output for fast image capture, and the ability to capture HD quality movies. It is the ideal combination of resolution and file size, allowing very large (poster size and larger) prints and cropping flexibility.
• A new 77-segment metering system quickly and accurately determines exposure for even the most complex and dynamic lighting situations.
• HD Movie capture features adjustable quality and resolution settings, aperture control, as well as mechanical Shake Reduction, and an external microphone terminal for recording stereo sound.* The K-7 will capture video at the default standard of 1280×720 resolution with a 16:9 aspect ratio (equivalent to 720p), 1536×1024 resolution with a 3:2 aspect ratio, or 640×416 resolution with a 3:2 aspect ratio (equivalent to VGA quality), all shot at 30 frames per second.
• An HDMI port with selectable output resolution (1080i, 720p, 480p, and auto) offers high resolution playback of images and video on modern high definition TV’s.
• A Dedicated AF-assist lamp further improves autofocus response and accuracy in low light conditions.
• An Electronic Level function ensures that images have truly level horizons to minimize post-capture editing.
• An innovative in-camera Lens Correction function that electronically adjusts for Distortion and Lateral Chromatic Aberrations to maximize image quality with DA series lenses.
• A dedicated Mirror Lock-up function eliminates image blur due to mirror movement during long exposures.
• A High Dynamic Range (HDR) image capture mode captures three images then combines them in camera to widen the exposure gamut to bring out detail in all exposure areas of images.
• A composition adjustment feature in Live View allows minor shifts in the framing and composition of images using the Shake Reduction mechanism without having to physically move the camera. This feature is ideal for tripod use.
• A programmable embedded copyright function preserves artistic integrity and image ownership during capture via a keypad that may record ownership in metatag data.
• A striking 3 inch LCD with 921,000 dot resolution is perfect for detailed image or movie capture and review using the Live View function.
• A weather, dust and cold resistant (to 14° F or -10° C) body makes the K-7 the perfect camera for use in any environment, inside the studio or when travelling in any weather.
• Fast 5.2 frame-per-second shooting with a new PRIME II Image processing engine, which features fast circuitry and 4 channel output that is ideal for sporting events or any fast action situation.
• A top shutter speed of 1/8000 sec freezes even the fastest action in well lit settings.
• Live View mode, now with contrast AF, Face Detection, and optional histogram, grid, and bright/dark area display, allows you to quickly compose your images without having your eye against the viewfinder.
• A 100 percent field-of-view viewfinder (92X magnification) and bright focusing screen are ideal for accurate image composition and accurate focus.
• The PENTAX 11-point autofocus system features improved focus algorithms over previous generation K series DSLR cameras, providing faster, more responsive AF.
• The PENTAX-original Shake Reduction system now compensates for rotational sensor movement improving the sharpness of your images at the moment of capture.
• The K-7’s Dust Reduction system, improved over previous K series cameras, features a piezo-ceramic vibration action to the sensor’s low-pass filter for dust-fee image capture.
• A new high capacity battery features extended battery life, ideal for travel photography or video work.
• Advanced image capture settings, digital filters, and aspect ratio provide outstanding flexibility and creativity while minimizing the need for computer image manipulation.
• Custom Image modes with advanced parameter settings including new Key adjustment allow users to customize the processing mode to suit personal creative style.
Other K series innovations featured on the PENTAX K-7 include:
• Multiple exposure settings, including Green, Program, Sv, Tv, Av, TAv, M, Bulb, X-sync, and USER modes, provide extensive creative control over the exposure for photographers of all experience levels.
• Advanced white balance settings include highly customizable white balance fine tuning, color temperature adjustment, and post image capture manual white balance selection for perfect pictures in even the most difficult lighting.
• Dynamic Range setting with adjustable shadow correction brings out hidden or lost details in both highlights and shadows for even the highest-contrast, dynamic lighting.
• Dedicated PC socket for studio flash offers convenience for the studio photographer without adding hot shoe adapters.
• Advanced capture options include multi-exposure and interval shooting for creative special effects and time-lapse photography.