Let’s just get this out of the way, so we don’t have to deal with the elephant in the room. These things are hideous. OK, I’m done now.
In the ever-growing trend of announcing products well ahead of the big show. Fuji announced a slew of point-and-shoots today, which includes the waterproof FinePix Z33WP. The 10-megapixel “Life-Proof” camera is being marketed towards active families with three distinct color schemes: black, green and pink.
The Z33WP can drop down to depths of 10-feet, but not much else. It’s not of the shockproof variety, so this doesn’t add much to the mix. It’s the most bulbous of the Z-series cameras and has a 3x optical zoom lens, SR Auto (auto scene recog) and blog mode, which automatically resizes images to 640×480. Look for it to drop next month for $200.
• Face Detection Technology: Operating in tandem with automatic red-eye removal, the FinePix Z33WP identifies up to 10 human faces in a scene, and sets the correct focus and exposure, regardless of where subjects are located within the frame.
• Automatic Red Eye Removal accents the aforementioned features by lending an extra touch to that group shot. The Z33WP automatically checks for red eye and self-corrects it in each and every person in the photo, saving time on post-editing.
• Couple and Group Timer Modes: Working in conjunction with Face Detection technology detects two faces in ‘Couple Timer Mode’ and up to four faces in ‘Group Timer Mode’ in a frame.
• One Touch MOVIE Button: Capture VGA quality movie clips at 30 frames per second with sound to capture all of those once-in-a-lifetime moments.
• Battery Life: The long-life rechargeable Li-ion battery (up to 200 shots) allows for extended use without worrying if the camera is going to last for the duration of the trip.