AMD wanted to get out of the DTV market for a bit now and just found a buyer. Broadcom, maker of chips and bits inside of broadcast equipment, is paying $192.8 million in cash to acquire all of AMD’s assests for the digital television bisiness.
AMD’s DTV assets include Xilleon integrated DTV processors and reference designs, NXT receiver ICs, the Theater 300 DTV processor, and a line of panel processors that perform advanced motion compensation, frame rate conversion and scaling.
We aren’t sure how this is going to affect the PC DTV market, but hopefully, Broadcom will keep the AMD/ATI ball rolling and pump out more digital tuners for our computers.
- Founded 1969
- Overview Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) is a semiconductor company that designs and develops graphics, processors, and media solutions for both commercial and consumer markets. The company’s products portfolio includes desktop graphics, laptop graphics, professional graphics, desktop processors, laptop and tablet processors, server processors, embedded processors, chipsets, and solid state drives (SSD). Its …
- Location Sunnyvale, CA
- Categories Video Games, Hardware, Software
- Website http://www.amd.com
- Full profile for AMD
- Founded 1991
- Overview Broadcom is a Fortune 500 company providing a broad portfolio of state-of-the-art system-on-a-chip solutions. Its products are found everywhere, from urban corporate data centers and the cloud, to villages in some of the most isolated parts of the world. As one of the world's largest fabless semiconductor companies, Broadcom designs and develops its products in labs and design centers around …
- Location Irvine, CA
- Categories Mobile, Semiconductors
- Website http://www.broadcom.com
- Full profile for Broadcom
- Founded 1960
- Overview Allegheny Technologies Incorporated is one of the largest and most diversified specialty materials and components producers in the world with revenues of approximately $3.9 billion for the last twelve months. ATI has approximately 9,500 full-time employees world-wide who use innovative technologies to offer global markets a wide range of specialty materials solutions.
- Location Pittsburgh, PA
- Categories Chemical, Advanced Materials, Mining Technology
- Full profile for ATI