Betting on the losing format isn’t such a bad thing for Microsoft. Sure they made an expensive peripheral HD-DVD player, but at least they didn’t integrate it, leaving gamers stuck with a costly price tag for the core console. But now that the format is dead and Blu-Ray is the winner, will the Xbox get a Blu-Ray player?
Which of course, doesn’t really come as a surprise. The simple fact that Microsoft would have to go through Sony makes the proposition difficult to untangle. Sony would get additional licensing fees, but sales of the PS3 would surely suffer.
Knowing this, Microsoft announced a partnership with Netflix on Monday, making a clear statement on the method Microsoft wants to use for movie viewing. Welcome to the new format wars: Blu-Ray vs. streaming movies.
- Founded 1974
- Overview Microsoft is an American multinational corporation that develops, manufactures, licenses, supports, and sells a range of software products and services. Microsoft’s devices and consumer (D&C) licensing segment licenses Windows operating system and related software; Microsoft Office for consumers; and Windows Phone operating system. The company’s computing and gaming hardware segment provides Xbox …
- Location Redmond, WA
- Categories Developer Tools, Cloud Computing, Software, Operating Systems
- Website http://www.microsoft.com
- Full profile for Microsoft
- Founded 1997
- Overview Netflix is an online platform that enables user to watch TV shows and movies on smart TVs, gaming consoles, PCs, Macs, mobiles, tablets, and so on. It provides its services under three segments: international streaming, domestic streaming, and domestic DVD. The network enables members to access and view more than one billion hours of TV shows and movies per month, including Netflix original series. …
- Location Los Gatos, CA
- Categories Digital Entertainment, Consumer Electronics, Video
- Website http://www.netflix.com
- Full profile for Netflix
- Founded 1946
- Overview Sony Australia is the Australian arm of Sony, a multinational conglomerate corporation that designs and develops electronic equipment, instruments, and devices. The company offers LCD televisions, audio systems, Blu-ray disc players, memory-based audio devices, personal computers, interchangeable single-lens cameras, PlayStations, batteries, audio/video/data recording media, storage media, optical …
- Location Tokyo, 40
- Categories Consumer Electronics, Hardware, Software, Video on Demand
- Website http://www.sony.net/
- Full profile for Sony
- Description The Xbox is a video gaming console series and brand created by Microsoft.
- Website N/A
- Full profile for Xbox