The HP EliteBook was just demoed and some German TV personality just attacked the cover with steel wool. Guess that magnesium alloy cover really works. The 14.1-inch (WXGA) screen laptop weighs in at 4.7 lbs and is military grade, believe it or not. It passes the MIL-STD 810F for high temperature, altitude, humidity, dust and vibration. The EliteBook 6930p is powered by a 45nm Intel Centrino 2 Duo 9000 or 8000 series chip with vPro technology and comes with the option for an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3450 with 128 or 256MB of memory. This one is definitely a road warrior boasting an optional built-in EV-DO/HSPA module and a Broadcom 802.11 a/b/g/draft-n Wi-Fi chip as well as Bluetooth 2.0. There are three USB ports and the options for HDD seem endless with 5400 RPM SATA drives in 120/160/250GB capacities or a 7200 RPM SATA drive in 120/160GB. There’s also an Upgrade Bay where you can throw in another HDD or a Blu-ray drive.
BERLIN, June 10, 2008 – HP today introduced the durable, aircraft-inspired HP EliteBook Notebook PC as one of 10 newly designed products added to its business notebook lineup that merges functionality with sophisticated design.
Unveiled at the HP Connecting Your World event, the HP EliteBook is the first in a new family of notebooks joining the HP Compaq business notebook series to create one of the most versatile business notebook portfolios in company history. These product families are distinguished by their contemporary look and design that provide the ultimate high-performing PC experience.
Incorporating the latest mobile technologies and engineered to meet multiple durability tests, the EliteBook includes HP DuraCase, a complete set of visually appealing and reliable features such as a brushed anodized-aluminum exterior combined with a magnesium alloy chassis designed for maximum protection to keep the PC looking good, longer.
Other innovations include HP QuickLook2 software, which provides access to email, calendar, task and contact information within seconds at the touch of a button.(1) The HP SpareKey feature addresses the hassle of forgotten passwords by using a sequence of three predetermined personal identification questions to gain immediate entry into the system.(2)
“The EliteBook’s sleek, innovative designs combine a sophisticated look with the durability needed to withstand the evolving mobile work environment,” said Ted Clark, senior vice president and general manager, Notebook Global Business Unit, HP. “Furthermore, HP has incorporated the right mix of hardware and software features to deliver a dependable business notebook PC that delivers enhanced security and improved ease of use in a stylish new package.”
The HP business notebook lineup is one of the first to offer a choice of the latest processor technologies, including AMD Turion™ 64 X2 Ultra Dual-Core Mobile Processors(3) and the latest Intel® Centrino® 2 and Intel Centrino 2 with vPro technology.(4,5)
Through HP Mobile Broadband, select notebooks incorporate the latest in wireless connectivity. With Qualcomm’s Gobi technology built in, HP notebooks use a single module, the HP un2400, to support multiple mobile broadband network technologies and multiple mobile operators. This increases users’ international roaming options and offers greater choice and flexibility in choosing a mobile data plan.(6)
All HP business notebooks also are designed with the environment in mind, with energy-efficient features, select materials for easier recycling and lower levels of environmentally unfriendly substances. For example, several HP notebooks are available with the choice of an optional mercury-free Illumi-Lite LED display, which is lighter and more energy-efficient than standard notebook display technology. In fact, HP has set a goal to remove all mercury – a potentially hazardous substance commonly found in notebook screens – from its notebooks by 2010.
Elite mobile professionals
With a design inspired by aircraft engineering, the HP EliteBook is built for the corporate road warrior. It features a shock-resistant hard drive and spill-resistant keyboard to help defend data against bumps, drops and spills. It was designed to meet the tough MIL-STD 810F military-standard tests(7) that measure levels of environmental reliability and operation at extreme temperatures of over 60 degrees Celsius/140 degrees Fahrenheit and below -29 C/-20 F, while withstanding vibration and high humidity.
The inner magnesium shell of the notebook’s HP DuraCase is equipped with a honeycomb pattern that is thermally bonded to anodized aluminum for a solid construction. The HP EliteBook also includes enhanced impact protection for a display panel that can withstand up to 80 percent more force to twist than display enclosures in older models. Additionally, anodized aluminum is used on the palm-rest surface with HP DuraFinish, a protective coating that is six times more scratch-resistant than previous notebooks. These materials also are highly recyclable, facilitating environmentally responsible disposal at end of life.
The initial ENERGY STAR® qualified HP EliteBook 6930p configuration weighs only 4.7 pounds (2.1 kilograms). It features a 14.1-inch diagonal widescreen display and is available with an optional, mercury-free Illumi-Lite LED display.(8)
Setting a new standard for on-the-move productivity, the HP EliteBook 6930p provides up to 15 hours(9) of combined battery life with optional Ultra Capacity battery for full-day productivity. It also offers the choice of optional second hard drive support for RAID 0 (striping) or RAID 1 (mirroring), optional 2-megapixel webcam with Business Card Reader software, and a full range of integrated wireless and security solutions.(8)
Customers also can choose ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3450 Graphics with up to 256 megabytes (MB) of dedicated video memory for more graphics-intensive environments, or the latest Intel Graphics Accelerator for optimal performance.
The newly redesigned business notebook “b”-series is distinguished by its silver finish and magnesium alloy support structure. The new design includes HP DuraFinish, a clear coat applied over the display enclosure and palm-rest that is three times more scratch resistant than in previous models. Offering an ideal combination of features for mainstream business mobility, the b-series notebooks include:
• HP Compaq 6530b and HP Compaq 6535b – These notebooks are designed for business professionals who commute, move around the office for meetings or travel occasionally. The 6530b and 6535b are highly mobile and offer the latest Intel and AMD processors to fit customer connection needs when using HP Mobile Broadband,(5) Wi-Fi certified WLAN(10) and Bluetooth® wireless technology. With a 14.1-inch diagonal display, a magnesium alloy support structure and a starting weight of 5.3 pounds (2.41 kilograms), these durable notebooks provide a solution for on-the-go schedules without compromising functionality, security or performance.
• HP Compaq 6730b and HP Compaq 6735b – Aimed at professionals who want a large 15.4-inch diagonal widescreen display, enhanced security and extensive connectivity with HP Mobile Broadband, the 6730b and 6735b feature the latest Intel and AMD processors with HP Universal Accessory compatibility. With a starting weight of only 5.9 pounds (2.69 kilograms), both devices are sturdy in form and composition.
The standard “s”-series sports a satin, reflective, black-on-black finish to modernize the look and feel of the classic business notebook. HP s-series notebooks are loaded with strong security features, including HP ProtectTools Security Manager. Drive Encryption for HP ProtectTools encodes information on the hard drive to make sensitive information unreadable if a notebook is lost or stolen.
For added data security, File Sanitizer permanently deletes individual files, folders and personally identifiable information from the notebook, which also allows customers to recycle the notebook with confidence that their business data has been removed. Additionally, s-series notebooks have HP 3D DriveGuard, which uses a three-axis accelerometer to detect sudden movement and initiate protective action, helping protect the notebook’s hard drive against bumps or drops.
• HP Compaq 6530s and HP Compaq 6535s – The 6530s and 6535s offer small business customers flexibility with an entry-level, mainstream notebook for a dispersed workforce. These notebooks include Intel or AMD processors to offer a variety of options for mobility and longer battery life. Keeping connected through Wi-Fi certified WLAN(10) and integrated Bluetooth wireless technology, customers can choose between the 14.1-inch diagonal widescreen anti-glare WXGA display or an HP BrightView display that improves brightness, contrast and clarity.
• HP Compaq 6730s and HP Compaq 6735s – Also for the small business and mobile workforce, the 6730s and 6735s offer a 15.4-inch diagonal widescreen display and include a choice of Intel or AMD processors to meet high demands for performance and connectivity. Offering Wi-Fi certified WLAN(10) and integrated Bluetooth wireless technology, customers can send and receive emails or access the Internet – at work, at home or at their favorite hotspots.
• HP Compaq 6830s – This notebook offers a 17-inch diagonal widescreen display, the largest of the series. The 6830s also features extensive connectivity and additional graphic applications, including ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3410 with 128/256 MB of GDDR2 for video memory and 3D gaming, as well as ATI HyperMemory, expanding graphics memory with system memory to optimize performance. It includes the latest Intel Core™ 2 Duo processors.
Pricing and availability
All the notebooks are expected to be available by late July. Estimated starting U.S. street pricing ranges from $799 for the HP standard “s”-series product to $1,179 for the HP EliteBook series.(11)
More information on these HP notebook PCs and other HP mobility solutions is available in an online press kit at www.hp.com/personal.