AllFacebook is running a rumor that Facebook is prepping an online music store that will see it compete with Apple’s dominant iTunes. A competing story by PaidContent says the new product is to be a music platform for artists and will compete directly with MySpace, not iTunes.
According to the posts, Facebook has been searching for someone tolead the new division and has been pursuing agreements with a number of record labels.
This is bad news for the the new iLike artist platform on Facebook, which launched today. But as we’ve said before, if you play in Facebook’s sandbox, don’t be upset when Facebook wants to play there, too.
- Founded 1976
- Overview Apple is a multinational corporation that designs, manufactures, and markets mobile communication and media devices, personal computers, portable digital music players, and sells a variety of related software, services, peripherals, networking solutions, and third-party digital content and applications. Apple provides many products and services, including iPhone; iPad; iPod; Mac; Apple TV; a portfolio …
- Location Cupertino, CA
- Categories Consumer Electronics, Retail, Hardware, Electronics
- Website http://www.apple.com
- Full profile for Apple
- Founded 2004
- Overview Facebook is an online social networking service that allows its users to connect with friends and family as well as make new connections. It provides its users with the ability to create a profile, update information, add images, send friend requests, and accept requests from other users. Its features include status update, photo tagging and sharing, and more. Facebook’s profile structure includes …
- Location Menlo Park, CA
- Categories Social Media, Social Network, Social
- Website http://www.facebook.com
- Full profile for Facebook
- Founded 2005
- Overview Bebo is a social networking website launched in 2005. It now describes itself as "a company that dreams up ideas for fun social apps".
- Location San Francisco, CA
- Categories Android, Social Media, Messaging, Apps
- Founders Michael Birch
- Website https://www.bebo.com/
- Full profile for Bebo
- Founded 2002
- Overview Born out of Garageband.com, iLike is a social music discovery site. Valued at $53.2 million in December of 2006, iLike has been funded by the likes of former MTV CEO Bob Pittman and at the time of the valuation, by Ticketmaster (IAC) which took control of 25% of the company for $13.3 million. According to iLike, it promotes music democracy by exposing artists that users have not heard of, but may …
- Location Seattle, WA
- Categories Social Media, Art, Music
- Website http://www.ilike.com/
- Full profile for iLike
- Description iTunes is a digital media player app that can be used to play, download, and organize digital audio and more.
- Website N/A
- Full profile for iTunes