Back on schedule this week after TechCrunch Disrupt, me and Chris Velazco catch you up on the latest in Android news. We’re somewhat distracted by another mobile operating system that has some news this week, but we get ourselves under control pretty quick.
The Nvidia Tegra Note is a reference tablet design that the company is saying could retail for $199 and boast some decent specs, and there’s Cyanogen’s big raise and news that they’ll offer their software conversion tool in the Google Play store. Also the Nexus 4 looks perhaps permanently sold out ahead of a Nexus 5 unveiling, and Jolla reveals it goes both ways with Android.
We invite you to enjoy weekly Android podcasts every Wednesday at 5:30 p.m. Eastern and 2:30 p.m. Pacific, in addition to our weekly Gadgets podcast at 3 p.m. Eastern and noon Pacific on Fridays. Subscribe to the TechCrunch Droidcast in iTunes, too, if that’s your fancy.
Intro music by Kris Keyser.
- Founded 2009
- Total Funding $30M
- Overview CyanogenMod (pronounced sigh-AN-oh-jen-mod), is a customized, aftermarket firmware distribution for several Android devices. Based on the Android Open Source Project, CyanogenMod is designed to increase performance and reliability over Android-based ROMs released by vendors and carriers such as Google, T-Mobile, HTC, etc. CyanogenMod also offers a variety of features & enhancements that are not currently …
- Founders Koushik Dutta, Steve Kondik
- Website http://cyanogenmod.org
- Full profile for Cyanogen
- Founded September 1998
- Ticker NASDAQ:GOOG
- Overview Google provides search and advertising services, which together aim to organize and monetize the world’s information. In addition to its dominant search engine, it offers a plethora of online tools and platforms including: Gmail, Maps, YouTube, and Google+, the company’s extension into the social space. Most of its Web-based products are free, funded by Google’s highly integrated online advertising …
- Founders Larry Page, Sergey Brin
- Website http://google.com
- AngelList Page
- Full profile for Google
- Founded 1993
- Ticker NASDAQ:NVDA
- Overview Nvidia specializes in the manufacture of graphics-processor technologies for workstations, desktop computers, and mobile devices. The company, based in Santa Clara, California, is a major supplier of integrated circuits used for personal-computer motherboard chipsets, graphics processing units (GPUs), and game-consoles.
- Founders Jen-Hsun Huang, Chris Malachowsky
- Website http://www.nvidia.com
- Full profile for Nvidia
Latest headlines delivered to you daily