The Gillmor Gang — Robert Scoble, Dan Farber, Keith Teare, and Steve Gillmor — talked Microsoft reorg and the chance it might make a difference. No one is underestimating the power of the Windows giant, but rearranging the deck chairs may not move the needle enough to matter. With Office subsumed in one group and Windows in another, Steve Ballmer has traded one fiefdom for a more amorphous one in which to launder the move to the cloud.
Is @scobleizer right that a change at the top is in order, or am I right that Microsoft’s real problem is a loss of trust in Redmond’s ability to convince us that the imperative is providing innovation for customers? Remember the old slogan: What do you want to do today? Today, the answer is increasingly found in the realtime world of Apple, Google, Twitter, Netflix, and only maybe Microsoft.
@stevegillmor, @dbfarber, @scobleizer, @kteare
Produced and directed by Tina Chase Gillmor @tinagillmor
- Current Companies CNET Networks
- Bio Dan Farber was named Editor-in-Chief of CBSNews.com in Dec. 2008. Prior to CBS News he was Editor-in-Chief of CNET’s News.com in February 2008. Previously he was vice-president of editorial at CNET Networks and editor in chief of ZDNet. Dan has more than 25 years of experience as an editor and journalist covering technology. He joined ZDNet in 1996, and led the development of ZDNet’s worldwide …
- Full profile for Dan Farber
- Current Companies just.me, Archimedes Labs, M.dot
- Bio Keith Teare is the CEO and founder of just.me Inc and a Founder at the Palo Alto incubator, Archimedes Labs. Teare has a track record as a serial entrepreneur with big ideas and has achieved significant returns for investors. History (a) The EasyNet Group: Founded in 1994 as one of the first ISP’s in Europe, Teare was CTO and co-founder. It went public on the AIM exchange in London in 1996 …
- Full profile for Keith Teare
- Current Companies Building43
- Bio Robert Scoble is an American blogger, technical evangelist, and author. He is best known for his popular blog, Scobleizer, which came to prominence during his tenure as a technical evangelist at Microsoft. Scoble joined Microsoft in 2003, and although he often promoted Microsoft products like Tablet PCs and Windows Vista, he also frequently criticized his own employer and praised its competitors …
- Full profile for Robert Scoble
- Current Companies Gillmor Gang, TechCrunch
- Bio Steve Gillmor is a technology commentator, editor, and producer in the enterprise technology space. He is Head of Technical Media Strategy at salesforce.com and a TechCrunch contributing editor. Gillmor previously worked with leading musical artists including Paul Butterfield, David Sanborn, and members of The Band after an early career as a record producer and filmmaker with Columbia Records’ …
- Full profile for Steve Gillmor