The Gillmor Gang — Robert Scoble, Kevin Marks, Keith Teare, and Steve Gillmor — view the world through PRISM glasses. We, or me, couldn’t help wondering what part of surpised we are at the idea we’re being monitored and scraped within an inch of our metadata. It’s hard to tell whether we’re worried about losing our individual freedoms, or having to do the hard work of balancing the tradeoffs in a dangerous world of drones and the streams that feed them.
Still, the stakes couldn’t be higher as we sell our digital identities for the price of free access to the flow of information. And what about the cost of our freedom to share the music that defined the creative revolution of the 60′s and the video revolution of Mad Men and Netflix? From Richie Havens on the stage at Woodstock to Obama’s politics of the personal, we can’t afford to sit back and ignore the costs, and the value, of swimming in the social waters. Ben Franklin may not have anticipated Twitter, but Paul Revere did. Honey, disconnect the phone.
@stevegillmor, @scobleizer, @kevinmarks, @kteare
Produced and directed by Tina CHase Gillmor @tinagillmor
- Current Companies just.me, Archimedes Labs, M.dot
- Bio Keith Teare is the CEO and founder of just.me Inc and a Founder at the Palo Alto incubator, Archimedes Labs. Teare has a track record as a serial entrepreneur with big ideas and has achieved significant returns for investors. History (a) The EasyNet Group: Founded in 1994 as one of the first ISP’s in Europe, Teare was CTO and co-founder. It went public on the AIM exchange in London in 1996 …
- Full profile for Keith Teare
- Current Companies Salesforce
- Bio Kevin Marks is a software engineer. Kevin served as an evangelist for OpenSocial and as a software engineer at Google. In June 2009 he announced his resignation. From September 2003 to January 2007 he was Principal Engineer at Technorati responsible for the spiders that make sense of the web and track millions of blogs daily. He has been inventing and innovating for over 17 years in emerging technologies …
- Full profile for Kevin Marks
- Current Companies Building43
- Bio Robert Scoble is an American blogger, technical evangelist, and author. He is best known for his popular blog, Scobleizer, which came to prominence during his tenure as a technical evangelist at Microsoft. Scoble joined Microsoft in 2003, and although he often promoted Microsoft products like Tablet PCs and Windows Vista, he also frequently criticized his own employer and praised its competitors …
- Full profile for Robert Scoble
- Current Companies Gillmor Gang, TechCrunch
- Bio Steve Gillmor is a technology commentator, editor, and producer in the enterprise technology space. He is Head of Technical Media Strategy at salesforce.com and a TechCrunch contributing editor. Gillmor previously worked with leading musical artists including Paul Butterfield, David Sanborn, and members of The Band after an early career as a record producer and filmmaker with Columbia Records’ …
- Full profile for Steve Gillmor