Recently, I had the Founder and Chief Scientist of Cloudera, Jeff Hammerbacher, over to the studio to talk about his experience building out big data systems for Facebook. He explained to me how the lack of commercially available data storage and analysis inspired him to start Cloudera. Cloudera is an enterprise software company that provides analytical data management using Apache Hadoop.
Jeff discusses the importance of surrounding himself with interesting people. He also shares his advice on hiring engineers, learning his role as a founder, and knowing when to fire himself as the head of product.
Disclosure: Michael Abbott is a general partner at Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, previously Twitter’s VP of Engineering, and a founder himself.
- Founded October 2008
- Total Funding $1.04B
- Overview Cloudera, the commercial Hadoop company, develops and distributes Hadoop, the open source software that powers the data processing engines of the world’s largest and most popular web sites. Founded by leading experts on big data from Facebook, Google, Oracle and Yahoo, Cloudera’s mission is to bring the power of Hadoop, MapReduce, and distributed storage to companies of all sizes in the enterprise, …
- Founders Christophe Bisciglia
- Website http://www.cloudera.com
- Full profile for Cloudera
- Current Companies Cloudera, Rock Health
- Bio Jeff Hammerbacher was an Entrepreneur in Residence at Accel Partners immediately prior to joining Cloudera. Before Accel, he conceived, built, and led the Data team at Facebook. The Data team was responsible for driving many of the applications of statistics and machine learning at Facebook, as well as building out the infrastructure to support these tasks for massive data sets. The team produced …
- Full profile for Jeff Hammerbacher
- Current Companies SayNow, Cloudera, Reverb Technologies, ToyTalk, BizEquity, Saba, Jawbone, Hearsay Social, Rock Health, Locu
- Bio Mike Abbott joined Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers as a partner in 2011. He focuses on investments in the firm’s digital practice, helping entrepreneurs in the social, mobile and cloud computing sectors rapidly scale teams and ventures. Mike serves as an expert resource on enterprise infrastructure, cloud computing and “big data.” He also helps entrepreneurs win the race for talent in a hyper-competitive …
- Full profile for Michael Abbott
Latest headlines delivered to you daily