The Gillmor Gang — John Borthwick, Kevin Marks, John Taschek, and Steve Gillmor — go beyond the usual scenarios in examining the symbiotic relationships between Apple’s more proprietary model and Android’s open heritage. Those looking for a more scholarly version of this dialogue should look to Doc Searls’ recent Life Management piece for sustenance. But those who enjoy the emergent presence of a shared perspective might find it in the last half or so of this episode.
CES may have been presiding over the collapse of the PC, as the mobile device wave overwhelmed Wintel. But the speed with which the two silent partners have captured our attention and spawned a new generation of muscle memory continues to startle. What Steve Jobs decried as copying and theft as Android took the handoff from the iPhone and ran with it may someday be seen as the opening of a spirited competition that drove a generation of transformation. In other words, two heads are better than one.
@stevegillmor, @borthwick, @jtaschek, @kevinmarks
Produced and directed by Tina Chase Gillmor @tinagillmor
- Current Companies Tapestry , betaworks, Outside.in
- Bio John Borthwick is CEO and co-founder of betaworks, a company that builds and invests in essential products driven by data and the social world. Prior to launching betaworks, John was CEO of Fotolog, and prior to that he was SVP of Technology and Alliances at Time Warner. He arrived at Time Warner — AOL — in early 1997 when they acquired WP Studio, which he started back in 1994. WP Studio was …
- Full profile for John Borthwick
- Bio John Taschek is vice president of strategy at salesforce.com. He is responsible for corporate product strategy, corporate intelligence and market influence. Taschek came to company in 2003, bringing over 20 years of technology evaluation experience. Taschek currently is also the editorial director for CloudBlog - an independent blog run as an adjunct to salesforce.com’s web properties. He occasionally …
- Full profile for John Taschek
- Current Companies Salesforce
- Bio Kevin Marks is a software engineer. Kevin served as an evangelist for OpenSocial and as a software engineer at Google. In June 2009 he announced his resignation. From September 2003 to January 2007 he was Principal Engineer at Technorati responsible for the spiders that make sense of the web and track millions of blogs daily. He has been inventing and innovating for over 17 years in emerging technologies …
- Full profile for Kevin Marks
- Current Companies Gillmor Gang, TechCrunch
- Bio Steve Gillmor is a technology commentator, editor, and producer in the enterprise technology space. He is Head of Technical Media Strategy at salesforce.com and a TechCrunch contributing editor. Gillmor previously worked with leading musical artists including Paul Butterfield, David Sanborn, and members of The Band after an early career as a record producer and filmmaker with Columbia Records’ Firesign …
- Full profile for Steve Gillmor
Latest headlines delivered to you daily