I’ve been a pretty big fan of DropCam for a year or so now. This set-it-and-forget-it camera sets up in minutes – just point it to a wireless router when plugged in through USB and then connect it to the wall power. The camera automatically wends its way past your firewall and you can view and control the device from any phone or browser. It also sends notification messages (albeit a little effusively) so you know when people are entering and exiting the field of view.
Whereas the original DropCam looked a bit cheap, this new model is, the Dropcam HD, is the height of elegance. Made of black plastic, the round camera fits perfectly into the metal stand and it includes a long USB cord to connect to your PC or a power outlet.
You can pre-order it now for $149 and it includes a number of DVR-like recording plans that will store recordings of potentially interesting moments in the cloud.
60-second setup – Plug it in. Select your Wi-Fi network. Personalize it. Your Dropcam HD is online in three intuitive, simple steps.
· Watch and check in 24/7 – AC-powered Dropcam HD gives you reliable, quality video at all times. It’s plugged in, so you don’t have to worry about missing video due to drained batteries.
· Night vision – Reasons to keep an eye on what you care about don’t stop when the sun goes down. The night vision mode turns on automatically when a room darkens to make sure you don’t miss a moment.
· Talk back with two-way audio – Respond to what you’re watching as it happens with two-way audio. Ask who is at the front door, check in on the kids while chores get done, tell the dog (or husband) to get off the couch.
· Digital zoom – Pick which part of the room to focus on. Zoom in on the baby’s crib, the front door, or one of the cars in the driveway.
· Versatile placement – Dropcam HD is adjustable to quickly mount on a wall, stand on a table, or you can pop out the lens to create a smaller, more discreet profile that can be placed anywhere.