These are bittersweet days for Tony Fadell. The man who oversaw 18 generations of the iPod and the first three versions of the iPhone is finally launching his new company, Nest Labs, today. It has been eighteen months in the making and marks a new era for thermostats— and quite possibly other neglected categories of home electronics.
But he’s also recently lost his former boss and long time friend Steve Jobs. In this final segment of our sit-down interview with Fadell, he talks about the Steve Jobs he knew. He also talks about the future for Apple, and what he hopes Apple’s legacy will be for entrepreneurs in Silicon Valley.
- Founded 1976
- Overview Apple is a multinational corporation that designs, manufactures, and markets mobile communication and media devices, personal computers, portable digital music players, and sells a variety of related software, services, peripherals, networking solutions, and third-party digital content and applications. Apple provides many products and services, including iPhone; iPad; iPod; Mac; iPod; Apple TV; …
- Location Cupertino, CA
- Categories Hardware + Software, Consumer Electronics, Computers, Electronics, Retail
- Website http://www.apple.com
- Full profile for Apple
- Description Apple's MP3 player that launch in 2001.
- Website N/A
- Full profile for iPod
- Founded 2010
- Overview Nest Labs is the creator of the world's first Learning Thermostat. Nest learns from your temperature adjustments, programs itself to keep you comfortable, and guides you to energy savings.
- Location Palo Alto, California
- Categories Home Automation
- Founders Tony Fadell
- Website http://www.nest.com
- Full profile for Nest Labs
- Bio Tony Fadell led the team that created the first 18 generations of the iPod and the first three generations of the iPhone. Before Apple, Tony built the Mobile Computing Group at Philips Electronics. Tony has authored more than 100 patents. He graduated from the University of Michigan with a Bachelors in Computer Engineering.
- Full profile for Tony Fadell