We’re back for a new episode of OMG/JK (in HD!). This week the news has been all about private data — Google and Apple have been accused of tracking your every move (they aren’t), and Sony has revealed that 77 million user accounts were compromised (this, unfortunately, is true).
Tune in to find out where things stand now, and where to get the best deal on your tinfoil hat.
Here are some recent articles that are relevant to this week’s episode.
- Amazon EC2 goes down, taking with it Reddit, Foursquare and Quora
- Apple Responds To Location Tracking Kerfuffle, Says It’s Innocent, Blames Bugs
- Google Responds To Smartphone Location Tracking Uproar, Says Android Is Opt-In
- Lost In The iPhone Location FUD
- Disaster: Playstation Network User Data Compromised, Names, Addresses, Maybe Credit Cards
- Founded 1994
- Overview Amazon is an e-commerce retailer formed originally to provide consumers with products in two segments. It offers users with merchandise and content purchased for resale from vendors and those offered by third-party sellers. Operating in North American and International markets, Amazon provides its services through websites such as amazon.com and amazon.ca. It also enables authors, musicians, filmmakers, …
- Location Seattle, WA
- Categories E-Commerce, Crowdsourcing, Groceries, Consumer Goods, Delivery, Software, Retail, Internet
- Website http://amazon.com
- Full profile for Amazon
- Bio M.G. Siegler is a general partner at Google Ventures, where he primarily focuses on early-stage investments. He has been deeply involved in the startup space since 2005, first as a web developer, then as a writer, and most recently as an investor and advisor. Having spent the past year in London helping to get Google Ventures' European organization up and running, M.G. is now back in the Bay Area, …
- Full profile for M.G. Siegler
- Bio Andreas Klinger is a CTO at Product Hunt and founder of DIE SOCIALISTEN, a company that designs and implements marketing solutions on social platforms.
- Full profile for Jason Kincaid
- Founded 1998
- Overview Google is a multinational corporation that is specialized in internet-related services and products. The company’s product portfolio includes Google Search, which provides users with access to information online; Knowledge Graph that allows to search for things, people, or places as well as builds systems recognizing speech and understanding natural language; Google Now, which provides information …
- Location Mountain View, CA
- Categories Search, Email, Blogging Platforms, Information Technology, Video Streaming, Software
- Website http://www.google.com
- Full profile for Google
- Founded 1976
- Overview Apple is a multinational corporation that designs, manufactures, and markets mobile communication and media devices, personal computers, portable digital music players, and sells a variety of related software, services, peripherals, networking solutions, and third-party digital content and applications. Apple provides many products and services, including iPhone; iPad; iPod; Mac; iPod; Apple TV; …
- Location Cupertino, CA
- Categories Hardware + Software, Consumer Electronics, Computers, Electronics, Retail
- Website http://www.apple.com
- Full profile for Apple