Roland, makers of all things MIDI and beyond, have a new product out called V-Drums® Friend Jam. The software lets you connect your Roland V-Drums (electronic, MIDI drums) to your Mac or PC with a MIDI interface (not included) and, in the words of the press release, “allows V-Drums users across the globe to interact with each other while improving their drumming skills with play-along MP3 songs and practice evaluation features.”
So what does that mean? It means the software lets you:
- Play along with included practice tracks, of various styles
- Add your own MP3s as practice tracks
- Record your playing and evaluate individual performance elements including beat, stamina, and technique
- Share your playing results with others via Twitter and compare how they rank with other V-Drums Friend Jam users around the world
- Use an embedded calendar feature to track and achieve practice goals
The website claims “This is a social tool for drummers” which is just begging for a deluge of ”drummer” jokes in the twittersphere, however maybe it really will let “electronic” drummers around the world unite and compare notes? If you are a V-Drummer out there with the tools and the talent, let us know in the comments if this thing is ready for prime time or DOA.