If you got excited about AT&T’s recent announcement of three new Motorola Android-powered handsets, but have an allegiance to the big red as strong as your tendency for budget-friendly phones, then listen up. If not, well… just gimme a minute, okay?
Verizon have now announced the Motorola Citrus, which is “designed specifically for new smartphone users”, with it’s biggest features being a) it’s a cheap Android smartphone, and b) it’s made from 25% post-consumer recycled plastic and is both PVC and BFR free.
As far as nerd specs go, it’s running Android 2.1 with Moto’s take-it-or-leave it BLUR skin, and it’s weirdo “backtrack” control mechanism.
…and that’s really all we have so far.
No details on price just yet (expect cheap), but it will be available this quarter.
Check the press release, below, for the full skinny.
VERIZON WIRELESS AND MOTOROLA UNVEIL MOTOROLA CITRUS
Designed Specifically for New Smartphone Users, this Full Touch, Android-Powered Smartphone Comes Compact and Fully Loaded
SAN FRANCISCO – From CTIA Enterprise & Applications™ 2010, Verizon Wireless, the company with the nation’s largest and most reliable wireless 3G network, and Motorola, Inc. (NYSE: MOT) today unveiled Motorola CITRUS™. Powered by Android™ 2.1, Motorola CITRUS delivers an affordable, entry-level, customizable smartphone experience in a compact design that is easy on both the eyes and the earth.
Key features and specifications:
· Curved design
· Easy-to-use, on-screen QWERTY keyboard (available in landscape and portrait modes) for quick messaging
· Full HTML Web browser – Preloaded with Bing Search and Bing Maps and delivers a PC-like Web browsing experience with quick access to Web apps and services such as Facebook®; Google services such as Gmail™, Google Talk™ and YouTube™
· Equipped with BACKTRACK™, a touch panel located on the back of the device that enables users to navigate and scroll through websites, home screens, e-mails, music and more without obstructing the display
· Full capacitive touch screen display delivers fluid flick, swipe and pinch-to-zoom navigation
· Seven home screen panels that can be tailored with an array of available shortcuts; applications; and pre-loaded widgets such as sticky notes, weather, messages and calendar
· Android Market™ – Choose from thousands of downloadable apps, many of which are free
· CITRUS has a housing made from 25 percent post-consumer recycled plastic, is certified CarbonFree® through an alliance with Carbonfund.org, and is PVC and BFR free. The packaging is made from 80 percent post-consumer recycled paper, and the user manual is made using 100 percent recycled paper and soy-based ink.
Pricing and availability:
· Motorola CITRUS will be available at http://www.verizonwireless.com and in Verizon Wireless Communications Stores in Q4 2010.
· For more information about Verizon Wireless products and services, visit a Verizon Wireless Communications Store, call 1-800-2 JOIN IN or go to http://www.verizonwireless.com.
(EDITOR’S NOTE: Media can access high-resolution images of Motorola CITRUS in the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at http://www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.)
About Verizon Wireless
Verizon Wireless operates the nation’s most reliable and largest wireless voice and 3G data network, serving more than 92 million customers. Headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with 79,000 employees nationwide, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE, NASDAQ: VZ) and Vodafone (LSE, NASDAQ: VOD). For more information, visit http://www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at http://www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.
Motorola is known around the world for innovation in communications and is focused on advancing the way the world connects. From broadband communications infrastructure, enterprise mobility and public safety solutions to mobile and wireline digital communication devices that provide compelling experiences, Motorola is leading the next wave of innovations that enable people, enterprises and governments to be more connected and more mobile. Motorola (NYSE: MOT) had sales of US $22 billion in 2009. For more information, please visit http://www.motorola.com.
MOTOROLA, the Stylized M Logo and MOTOBLUR logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Motorola Trademark Holdings, LLC. Android, Google, Gmail, Google Talk, YouTube and Android Market are trademarks of Google Inc. All other product or service names are the property of their respective owners. © 2010 Motorola, Inc. All rights reserved.