• AT&T Mobility CEO On Hot Seat At Fortune Brainstorm

    Michael Arrington

    J. Michael Arrington (born March 13, 1970 in Huntington Beach, California) is a serial entrepreneur and the founder of TechCrunch, a blog covering startups and technology news. Arrington attended Claremont McKenna College (BA Economics, 1992) and Stanford Law School (JD, 1995) and practiced as a corporate and securities lawyer at two law firms: O’Melveny & Myers and Wilson Sonsini Goodrich... → Learn More

    Friday, July 23rd, 2010

    Fortune’s Stephanie Mehta asked Ralph De la Vega, President & CEO of AT&T Mobility and Consumer Markets, if his relationship with Apple has been a net positive or negative experience. Not surprisingly, De la Vega says it was a tremendous net positive.

    “We carry about half of the mobile data in this country on our network today,” he says. “We have a great relationship with Apple…from the CEO on down.”

    Mehta asks “What will a post exclusivity world look like for AT&T?” De la Vega says he’s not particularly worried. AT&T had exclusivity on the Motorola RAZR when it was the hot phone five years ago, and that they did fine after exclusivity ended.

    “Why are there so many dropped calls?” says Mehta. De la Vega says you need three things for a good user experience – high speed mobile broadband network, smartphones and applications. He says AT&T is getting better at dealing with data surges, and there have been “nice improvements” over the last couple of years.

    Mehta asked Vega if there are too many mobile operating systems today. De la Vega says they want to carry them all and let the consumers decide.

    The most interesting part of the conversation – Mehta points out that a few years ago the U.S. lagged the rest of the world in mobile, but that today the U.S. is in a leadership position. De la Vega agrees, saying that investment in mobile infrastructure means that phones now tend to launch in the U.S. first now instead of being a year behind the rest of the world. But he also says “spectrum is the lifeblood of the industry, and to keep this economy fueled there must be enough spectrum.” He says there will be a wave of change where we’ll see more cloud based applications, particularly in the enterprise, than downloaded apps.

    Jason Hirschhorn, former MySpace co-president, asks a question from the audience, saying that too many calls are dropped on his iPhone. He asks how AT&T views the problem, and also asks why AT&T is charging for the MicroCell. De la Vega says that dropped calls have gone down dramatically. They’ve doubled their capacity in the last three months in New York, he says, and it has helped. And AT&T is testing a variety of prices, including free, for the MicroCell.

    Companies: AT&T

    Ralph de la Vega is president and chief executive officer of AT&T mobility, the wireless unit of AT&T. He was appointed to this position in October 2007. Previously, he served as group presiden of Regional Telecommunications and Entertainment. From 2004 to 2006, Mr. de la Vega served as chief operating officer of Cingular Wireless, where he was responsible for technology planning, network operations, marketing, sales and customer care. Before joining Cingular in January 2004, he served as president-BellSouth Latin America, with overall...

    → Learn more

    blog comments powered by Disqus