REGZA 3D: Toshiba is now ready to sell 3D TVs, too
Toshiba organized a big press conference in Tokyo today, and the company did not only unveil a total of 15 new REGZA LCDs for the Japanese market. Perhaps more importantly, Toshiba also announced the development of a new 3D TV.
It seems Toshiba can’t afford to let Sony, Panasonic, NEC, Sharp and Hitachi be the only Japanese tech companies try to create a new business for themselves.
Technical details are scarce at this point, but here’s what Toshiba did say today:
- the 3D TV will be rolled out worldwide this summer
- it will produce “high-resolution images” (whatever that may mean)
- users will be able to switch between 2D and 3D
- it will feature Toshiba’s super-advanced CELL processor
- Toshiba is developing a new engine for it (“3D REGZA engine”)
- they’ll probably offer large-size models only (46 inches and up)
- they’re expecting 3D TVs to account for about 20% of all sales in the high-price segment by the end of the year (in Japan)
- 3D-based Blu-ray devices from Toshiba are to follow the 3D TVs, too
Toshiba has also said they’ll be holding another, 3D-related press conference soon. We’ll keep you posted.
Via AV Watch [JP]