[Austria] Social travel guide tripwolf has released an updated iPhone app that ramps up the company’s freemium offering with the introduction of in-app purchases for destinations where tripwolf has more in-depth information.
The premium content is garnered from the Vienna-based startup’s existing partnerships with travel guide publishers Footprints and Marco Polo (a subsidiary of Mair Dumont), which is supplemented with user-generated content from the tripwolf community.
Additionally, the iPhone app offers a bunch interactive features, including photo-uploads, the ability to vote for locations, write reviews, search for points of interest, and add new locations or places to the tripwolf travel guides.
And in what’s increasingly becoming a trend, much of the tripwolf app can operate in offline mode, something that’s particularly needed in order to eliminate data roaming costs while traveling. Any content created by a user while in off-line mode is automatically synchronized once a data connection becomes available.
Despite a bigger emphasis on premium content, the tripwolf app itself remains free, including guides for nearly 50,000 destinations worldwide. The app then acts as a container for more in-depth paid-for versions of some of those guides for locations where tripwolf’s content rivals traditional travel guide books. These include guides for Amsterdam, Barcelona, Berlin, Bologna, Florence, Madrid, Milan, Paris, Rome, Salzburg, Turin and Vienna, along with Denmark, England, Finland, France, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Scotland and Spain. Each premium guide costs €4.99.
Here’s a complete list of the app’s features:
• travel info on 50,000 cities, countries and regions worldwide
• more than 550,000 geocoded Points of Interest worldwide
• professional content from Marco Polo and Footprint travel guides
• constant updates and improvements by the tripwolf community
• download and offline use of travel guides (no data roaming costs!)
• user locating to show points of interests in the vicinity – even in offline mode
• photo uploads and user reviews (can be written offline as well)
• available in 5 languages (English, German, French, Spanish and Italian)