Ever wonder what stories of 2009 the people of the Internet found most interesting? I can’t really help you there, but I can tell you which stories on MobileCrunch got the most pageviews. Now, you might assume that most of our popular stories involved the iPhone, but — well, actually, you’d be right.
The iPhone isn’t alone on the list, of course; Android makes a handful of appearances amongst our most popular stories, including one that I never would have seen coming.
- Smartphone Showdown: iPhone 3GS vs Motorola Droid: It was the battle of the century – or at least the battle of the year. Our final call may not have been decisive, but at least it was exhaustive.
- Tutorial: How to Tether on an iPhone 3G or 3GS running OS 3.1.2: I wrote this post on a whim while killing time in a coffee shop in early November, and it goes on to dominate just about every other post we’ve written this year. Thanks, Google!
- iPhone Homescreen Exposé Concept: Would you use this?: In October 2009, a Swedish design house made an awesome mock-up video of an alternative homescreen for the iPhone. Within weeks of this post blowing up on various social sites, the jailbreak community turned the concept into a reality.
- Smartphone Showdown: iPhone 3GS vs Motorola Droid Round 2: People always say that sequels are never as good as the original – and in terms of pageviews, it looks like they’re right. It probably doesn’t help that we warned people that part 2 was strictly for the Droid-obsessed.
- Rumor: HTC working on new flagship Android device – the Dragon: This one was a sleeper success. It flew almost entirely under the radar until word of Google’s Nexus One began trickling out months later. As the rumor mill churned over the Nexus, the pageview count on related posts spiked.
- Exclusive: Everything There Is To Know About Nokia’s Next Tablet: It’s one of our top posts of the year, and also one that I’m most proud of. We not only scooped the existence of the Nokia N900, but we exhaustively confirmed every single minute detail many months before Nokia made it all official.
- Ten Apps All New Android Users Should Check Out: The name says it all; with the Android Market exploding the way it is right now, we’re going to have to do another one of these.
- Apple moves to block jailbreaks once and for all: Gasp! Apple blocks jailbreaks in new iPhones! (Minutes later: Gasp! Jailbreakers find their way around the block.)
- Apple bans another developer, 1,000 apps pulled: There was no shortage of stories about Apple denying or pulling applications from the App Store this year – but when they nix 1,000 applications in one fell swoop, it’s worth reading about.
- 8 Little Things We Still Can’t Stand About The iPhone: What better way to cap off a year dominated by the iPhone than to discuss all the things we don’t like about it?
2009 was a huge year for MobileCrunch; readership is many, many times higher than it was just a year ago. We’re going to start 2010 off with a bang next week at CES, and things will only get better from there. We’ve got big plans for this place, and I look forward to every minute of it. Happy New Year, folks!