Altec Lansing announced two new devices today, a 200w set of computer speakers and a rather uniquely styled iPod dock with speakers. Sounds like a good idea to me.
So, two new devices. Both look pretty sweet, I like the glass mount on the speakers and the retro styling on the “boombox” iPod dock. Of course, with Altec Lansing sound quality can be a bit hit or miss, but hopefully you’ll be able to test them before buying. The speakers MSRP for $199.95, and the iPod dock goes for $299.99, so I’d make sure I listen to them first. Reading the press release for the dock however, I just getting the feeling that A.L. is trying too hard, you know? Both are available at your favorite retailer now.
For the speakers:
With 200 continuous watts (RMS) delivered in a dramatic design, the Expressionist Ultra is one of Altec Lansing’s most powerful computer audio systems. Its boom comes from five digital amplifiers powering five separate drivers for an authentically tuned sonic explosion. Each speaker driver — the 3″ midranges, the 1″ neodymium tweeters and the 6 1/2″ long-throw subwoofer — is individually fired and powered precisely as the source demands it. The result is exceptional audio detail and earth-shaking bass that you can genuinely feel. This uniquely designed 3-piece powerhouse takes music, movies and games to a whole new listening level.
“We take pride in understanding our customers’ wants and needs, and in creating products that fit their lifestyle,” said Don Milks, Senior Manager of Product Management at Altec Lansing. These days, more people are keeping all of their music and entertainment on their computer. So sound quality is very important to them. They want an audio system that sounds great and plays loud without distorting their favorite artist, movie scene or video game. The Expressionist Ultra speaker system fits the bill beautifully.”
The unique design of the Expressionist Ultra breaks rank from the traditional form of other speakers. It is designed to be showcased, rather than hidden away in an office. The contemporary industrial design of the satellites emphasizes visible drivers set into a translucent bezel. The subwoofer features a distinctive trapezoidal design that breaks up standing waves and delivers the deep bass that brings multimedia to life. The Expressionist Ultra speaker system is the perfect complement to today’s stylish computers, and with power output and sound quality rivaling many home stereos, it can also be positioned for use with TVs and gaming consoles.
– 200 Watt powerhouse – Separate amplifiers for bass, midrange and
treble provide exceptionally clean power for listening at any volume.
– Full, accurate sound – Each satellite delivers clear, full-spectrum
sound from a 3″ midrange driver and a 1″ inch neodymium tweeter.
– Seriously deep bass – Low-frequency bass you can feel from the 6 1/2″
front-firing, long-throw woofer.
– Fingertip control – Full-function Power, Volume, Treble and Bass
controls in a separate controller.
– Audio Alignment™ technology – Drivers, enclosure and electronics
are balanced for optimum sound.
– Connect additional devices – The AUX IN jack and RCA adapter let you
connect additional devices like your TV, game console, MP3, DVD and CD
player at the same time your computer is connected.
– Headphone jack – For private listening.
– Two 3″ mid-range [Intl: 75 mm] and two 1″ [Intl: 25 mm] high-frequency
– 6.5″ long-throw woofer [Intl: 165 mm]
– Sound Pressure Level (SPL): 106 dB
– Total Continuous Power: 200 Watts RMS
– Midrange driver: 33 Watts per Channel @ 4 ohms @ 10% THD @ 150 Hz -
– Tweeter: 33 Watts per Channel @ 4 ohms @ 10% THD @ 2.5 kHz – 20 kHz
– Subwoofer: 68 Watts @ 8 ohms @ 10% THD @ 40 Hz – 180 Hz Single Channel
– System Response: 40 Hz – 20 kHz (-10 dB)
– Signal to Noise Ratio @ 1 kHz input: > 75 dB
Satellite: 5.35″ (W) x 6.18″ (D) x 8.69″ (H)
Satellite: 135.8mm (W) x 156.9mm (D) x 220.6mm (H)
Subwoofer: 10.24″ (W) x 15.06″ (D) x 15.75″ (H)
Subwoofer: 260.0mm (W) x 382.5mm (D) x 400.0mm (H)
And for the iPod dock:
“The MIX is the genuine ‘next generation’ boombox for the way music enthusiasts are playing their music today,” said Ed Benforado, Product Category Director. “With rugged style and high end sound, the MIX is perfect for those ‘unofficial DJs’ who like to start their parties with sound. They can ‘mix it up’ between three music player inputs — a 30-pin dock connector for the iPhone and iPod and also two front-facing 3.5mm jacks — so everyone can jump in with their jams. And we’ve included heavy-duty carry handles and battery operation to take the MIX on the road or around the house just as easily.”
Geared to keep the party jumping, the MIX drives your favorite music through specially engineered horn-loaded tweeters and mid-range drivers. The 5.25″ side-firing subwoofer and 5.25″ tuned passive radiator pump out natural roaring bass, further enhanced with XdB technology for extra heavy punch. A digital 7-band graphic equalizer allows music lovers to quickly tailor the sound to their preferred taste. True to its retro boombox roots, the MIX runs on AC or gives 30 hours of play time on 8 D-cell batteries, even sporting a built-in battery life display.
Made for iPod and Apple-certified to “Work with iPhone,” the MIX is engineered to be immune to GSM signals, therefore preventing the speakers from picking up potential intermittent noises emitted by the iPhone or other mobile devices. The music pauses and resumes play before and after taking a voice call without ever switching the iPhone to airplane mode.
The MIX also includes a clip-on carabineer remote control so you don’t lose it at the party. Between parties, a built-in cubby secures the remote so it can always be found.
Go to www.alteclansing.com/fallpk2009 for the full MIX “inspiration” story.
– Crystal-clear high end – Specially engineered horn-loaded silk dome
tweeters designed for smooth, wide dispersion.
– Full mid-range – Two custom-designed drivers push room-filling mids
and mid bass.
– Fierce bass – XdB bass-enhanced side-firing subwoofer and tuned
passive radiator deliver formidable bass.
– Audio Alignment™ – Drivers, enclosure and electronics are balanced for
– Digital FM radio – Tune in to clean reception with telescopic antenna
and four station presets.
– AC or battery-powered – Plug in or lose the wires with up to 30 hours
of play with 8 D batteries. Battery life is displayed on LCD.
– Dual AUX IN jacks – Connect up to two additional audio players via
front-facing 3.5mm jacks.
– Clip-on remote – Enhanced wireless carabineer remote provides song and
– Music Pause – Automatically pauses music when a call is received on
– Interference Free – Unique design is immune to mobile phone
interference, eliminating the need to switch to airplane mode.
– At-A-Glance LCD – Track, artist, album and station display.
– Customizable EQs – Multiple EQ modes let you adjust your sound,
including 7-band graphic equalizer, four EQ presets and separate Bass and
– Onboard controls – Control most functions from the unit.
– Universal dock for iPhone and iPod – Recharges while it plays your