There are phones with GPS and then there are GPS phones. The Pharos Traveler 137 is in the latter camp, a device designed to be a GPS unit and a phone in one. Pharos has been making mapping software and devices for years, mostly for a less commercial market, and their specific knowledge in what makes a good GPS device is quite important when looking at the 137.
The 137 is a G.S.M. 3G phone with a special interface overlaid onto Windows Mobile 6.1 and includes a MicroSD card. It will be available today on Amazon and will cost $599.95 or $350 after T-Mobile rebate. It’s an unlocked quad-band phone with touchscreen, stylus, and little scroll wheel.
I’ll dig through this puppy this week and report back. The full specs follow.
Pharos Delivers First Windows Phone to Provide 3G Speeds on Both Major GSM Networks
Available for the first time today, the Pharos Traveler 137 offers unrivaled 3G connectivity and best-in-class navigation on a sleek new phone
TORRANCE, Calif. — June 4, 2009 — Pharos Science & Applications, Inc., a leading provider of location-based information and services, today announced the immediate availability of the Traveler 137, a striking Windows phone that is the first to give users access to 3G data speeds on both the T-Mobile and AT&T Wireless networks. The Traveler 137 features hybrid navigation software, giving it the unique ability to provide voice-prompted navigation even without a connection to a carrier’s network. The Traveler 137 is sold unlocked, enabling users to use local GSM SIM cards worldwide and avoid international roaming charges. The Traveler 137 is available today from Amazon.com, Dell.com, eXpansys.com, and Newegg.com for the suggested retail price of $599.95. Users can obtain a $250 discount on the phone if signing up for a new T-Mobile two-year contract through Pharos.
“When it comes to phones, we believe consumers deserve the full spectrum of choice,” said Stephanie Ferguson, general manager, Microsoft Corp., Microsoft Corporation. “The Traveler 137 is a great example of a Windows phone that gives consumers the choice of 3G networks, the choice of personalization and the choice to use a single, powerful phone for both work and life.”
“The Traveler 137’s ultra-sensitive aGPS gives users the ability to navigate quickly; its high speed 3G capability brings a world of information to users’ fingertips; its touch-and-sweep interface on a crisp WVGA screen makes using the powerful Windows phone fun and easy,” said James Oyang, PhD, President, Pharos.
Traveler 137 Specifications
* Operating System: Microsoft Windows Mobile 6.1 Professional, updateable to Windows Mobile® 6.5
* Processor: Qualcomm MSM 7201A 528MHz
* Memory: 256MB DDR SDRAM, 512MB Flash ROM
* Phone: unlocked GSM quad band 850/900/1800/1900 MHz, EDGE / GPRS,
Tri-band 3G, 1700/1900/2100 MHz, UMTS 384Kb/s, HSDPA 7.2Mb/s, HSUPA 2Mb/s
* Talk time: up to 7 hours on GSM, 5 hours on 3G and 200 hours standby
* Display: 3.5″ TFT LCD with touch panel, 480 x 800 Wide-VGA with 65K colors
* Wireless: GPS aGPS compatible, Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g, Bluetooth™ v2.1 + EDR , FM tuner
* Camera: 3 megapixel for picture or video, 0.3 megapixel on the front for video conference
* Expansion: USB 2.0, micro SD slot support SDHC, stereo audio jack
* Battery: 1380 mAh Li-Ion, rechargeable/replaceable
* Size: 4.60in (L) x 2.40in (W) x 0.51in (H)
* Weight: 4.9 ounces