Western Digital today announced that its ShareSpace high-speed network storage systems are now available with 8 TB of capacity and are DLNA Certified for media streaming. The ShareSpace systems now feature improved read and write speeds up to 30% for large media files. Current WD ShareSpace owners can download the new firmware update to experience these improvements.
The new 8 TB ShareSpace will be available this week at WD’s online store for $1,699.99. That’s roughly $212 per TB, and 21 cents per GB. Amazing. The ShareSpace storage systems are already available in capacities of 2 TB and 4 TB at $699.99 and $999.99, respectively.
The new high-speed network storage systems feature:
- A small-footprint, 4-bay storage system that takes up very little space and provides plenty of storage to go around;
- GigE connectivity with data transfer rates up to one gigabit per second when used in a GigE network;
- RAID 0/1/5 capabilities for data protection and speed;
- E-mail alert system that monitors drive and system health and sends you an e-mail if a problem is detected;
- UPnP/DLNA 1.5 Certified Media Server;
- iTunes server for centralized shared music;
- Microsoft Active Directory® directory service support;
- Plug a USB drive into the front-mounted USB 2.0 port and push a button to transfer automatically all the data on the drive to the WD ShareSpace system;
- Automatic and continuous network backup software including licenses to back up 3 computers;
- WD’s unique MioNet remote Web access service (for PC and Mac) that lets users access the drive from anywhere;
- Download manager that supports scheduled downloads through FTP and HTTP;
- Windows Vista® operating system ready;
- Built-in FTP server;
- 3 USB 2.0 ports;
- Equipped with WD drives using WD GreenPower technology, this system, with its efficient cooling architecture and power saving mode, consumes up to 33 percent less power and is reliably cool and quiet; and,
- 3-year limited warranty.